Tuesday 27 April 2010

The Overbooked Sewist


You didn't think this was going to be about scheduling, did you?  I don't even own a calendar.

Kids, I have a problem.

Remember how I said long ago that "the way you do anything is the way you do everything?"

Well, the way I accumulate sewing books is the same way I pile on everything else in my life:  fast, and with abandon!  Let me remind you, I didn't own a single sewing book before June, 2009.  I now have a lot.  A lot.  

In no particular order, they are:

Creative Clothing Construction by Allyne Bane
The Vogue Sewing Book
Sew Everything Workshop by Diana Rupp
High-Fashion Sewing Secrets by Claire Shaeffer
Make Your Own Dress Patterns by Adele Margolis
How to Make Hats & Accessories by Vee Walker Powell
Serger Secrets
Singer Sewing Book
10-20-30 Minutes to Sew by Nancy Zieman
Encyclopedia of Sewing Machine Techniques by Bednar & Pugh-Gannon
How to Make Men's Clothes by Jane Rhinehart
The Perfect Fit (Singer)
How to Sew Fashion Knits (Singer)
Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing (2 editions)
Shirtmaking by David Coffin
How to Make Sewing Patterns by Donald H. McCunn
Sewing Magic! by Barbara Hellyer
McCall's Step-by-Step Sewing Book
Cool Couture by Kenneth King
Singer Sewing Essentials

Mind you, this does not include style or fashion books like Marsha Hunt's "The Way We Wore" or "Barbie Fashion Vol. 1."   Or stuff like this:





And I'm the same with patterns, sewing machines, and underwear.

Peeps, I think I'm going to be sick.

What's really scary is that yesterday I seriously considered purchasing this for a mere $90 on Amazon:


Luckily, my sanity kicked in before I could click "Proceed to Checkout."

Now in the spirit of full disclosure, I didn't actually purchase all of the above books (or underwear, for that matter).  Some were given to me and a few I found in the trash (including the wonderful Vogue book).  But still, how could anybody possibly need that many sewing books?   What invaluable secrets could they possibly contain?  If I continue to accumulate books at my current rate, I'll be living in their home by mid decade.  This is not good.

Loyal followers, lurkers, and enablers, I must thank you for the opportunity to inventory fully my sewing book collection here on Male Pattern Boldness.  And mind you, I am still finding books as I write this...I actually had two or three dusty tomes under my bed!  (Nothing calms me before bedtime like a page or two from "Serger Secrets.") 


Do you share this problem, friends?  Please tell me I am not alone.

Also, is there any title I'm missing that you recommend?

I must know!

No comments:

Post a Comment