Monday 19 April 2010

Do you decorate like you dress?



I've often been struck by how passionate people often are when discussing clothes.  I've read countless fashion and sewing blogs where commenters are borderline apoplectic over other people's choice of outfits, or what they think is or isn't an appropriate way for someone to dress.

It's even happens here at Male Pattern Boldness -- and I've encouraged it!

I started to wonder, though: do people who are passionate about clothes tend also to be passionate about decor?  Or, since we're talking about private space, does it somehow carry less weight?


Getting dressed and going out in public is an expression of who we are (or who we'd like others to think we are) to the rest of the world.  Whether or not we put plastic slip covers on our sofa or still live with Seventies shag carpeting concerns no one other than ourselves and whoever else lives with us.


I was discussing this with Michael last night and I concluded that I actually care more about how the apartment looks than how I look, since I live here and stare at it every day.  If I like the way my environment looks then I feel good whether I'm hanging around in dirty boxers or resplendent in my latest creation.



So how about you?  Do you care more about the way you dress than the way your home looks?

Are your ideas about "appropriate" decor as strong as your ideas about fashion?  (If they aren't, why aren't they?)

To what extent do you decorate like you dress?

Jump in, peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment