Monday 12 April 2010

Monday Morning Coffee Klatsch and GOALS



Good morning, friends, and Happy Monday!

I think I can best sum up the "week that was" in one word:  yellow.  I learned a lot about this color last week and if I still don't quite love it, I have certainly learned to respect it.  I also learned, when in doubt, throw a little faux tiger skin over it -- works like a charm!

I don't know about you, but there's something about sewing from my stash (as I did with the yellow sheet dress and the faux tiger skin remnant) that feels super-satisfying.  Unfortunately, being me, no sooner do I use up one old bed sheet than another one comes along to replace it.  I seem to magnetize them, LOL.

Some of you noticed this lively number peeking out of a photo I posted last week.  It's now ready for its close-up:



Wise readers, tell me: Why don't they make sheets like this anymore?  Have we lost our sense of floral optimism or merely matured out of psychedelia?  Speaking of which, the same goes for the Official MPB Sewing Machine.

Where are the Genies of today?

And then there's this Salvation Army find -- just a scarf, not a sheet, but isn't this pattern and color combination wild?



If I'm not mistaken, the famous hair-growing Chrissy doll of the Seventies had a dress in this pattern, didn't she?  Somebody, do a Google search!

But let's get back to the week that was.   A brief summary:

1. I completed the you-know-what-color 1941 dress, Simplicity 3873 and Cathy flew back from L.A. to model it for me.  Little did I guess our photo shoot would be a trip back in time AND back to L.A.!

You'll be happy to learn that Cathy's lip line has returned to normal with a little help from Huggies Baby Wipes.

2. There is no #2, unless you count an Amazon impulse purchase -- a used copy of MGM starlet Marsha Hunt's book, "The Way We Wore," about Forties film fashion.  I blame reader Toby for this by mentioning it in a comment she made yesterday about Cathy's grandmother, Beatrice Lane.  I read about it and it sounded like a must-have.  (A surprise awaits Toby when she gets the bill!)

Now on to the week ahead:

1.  Remember how I once said that if the same goal keeps appearing week after week without getting tackled it's time to re-assess its importance to you?  Well, I still haven't thinned out my fabric remnant stash -- 1/2 yard of this, 3/4 yard of that: leftovers from projects I've already completed in patterns and colors I'm not ready to revisit.   How do you deal with this, peeps?  Do you just dump it all?

2.  It's time to pick my next project.  I am embarrassed to admit how many unused patterns I have around the house.  Remember the clown pattern?  The 70s teen track suitThe Doris Day Teacher's Pet ensemble?  So many options!

3. As usual, I leave room for serendipity.  If I know anything about myself it's that I enjoy an element of surprise.


Now how about you, lovely sewers, sewists and seamstresses?

I know so many of you are quietly and productively stitching away and I'd love to mention a few projects you've generously shared with me.

I don't know how many of you are modern art fans, but if you haven't seen reader Welmoed's Mondrian dress, you MUST.  What makes this dress all the more amazing is that she didn't have the original YSL pattern, she recreated it!  I am in awe.  Now I'd like to see something in a Jackson Pollock.

Reader Angel is applying the finishing touches to this lovely jacket.  Can you guess what is is made out of?  Give up?  Curtains!

Angel, that jacket fits beautifully and I'm glad you decided to cut the rings off first.


Finally, if reader Laura gets any more productive I'm going to have to sneak over to her house and mess up her thread tension.  Not even Shirley Temple had clothes like these!  So well done!


Readers, I love seeing and hearing about what you're up; it truly inspires me and -- I hope -- others too.  There's so much fabric in the world just waiting to be sewn into lovely garments.  It's heartbreaking, when you think about it.

So, what's on your plate this week?

Is Spring more inspiration or distraction?

And for your viewing pleasure...

No comments:

Post a Comment