Tuesday 23 March 2010

Too. Many. Patterns.


You know how seeing five birds sitting on a telephone pole is charming but five hundred suddenly feels like an Alfred Hitchock movie?

That's how I'm feeling this morning about mens patterns.  Yesterday my package arrived with the twenty-nine vintage mens patterns I'd won on eBay on -- was it only last Thursday?   They're all in great condition though they do smell like three decades' worth of Marlboros.

There's some good stuff in here for sure: shorts, shirts, vests, suits, gym clothes, sportcoats...


But -- and this may sound strange, or not -- nothing I haven't seen before, many, MANY times.


The sad truth is that mens patterns are -- dare I think it let alone say it? -- pretty dull.

I mean, where's the male equivalent of the Joan Collins "Dynasty" dress I just made?  There ain't one.  I doubt too many men would have collected the Dynasty John Forsythe collection.  What did he even wear?  A suit, dinner clothes, maybe a smoking jacket...  Who even cares?

I also think there's something about getting a box of twenty-nine of anything that makes it hard to absorb in one sitting.  I used to collect LPs (long-playing record albums -- music to you young'uns) and I remember coming home from the flea market with, say, twenty albums under my arm and never playing any of them; I didn't know where to begin.

BUT if I'd scored one album I was really excited about (Peggy Lee's "Sugar'n'Spice" comes to mind), I might listen to it for days.

Do you hear where I'm coming from, peeps?

I'm sure over time I'll learn to love some of these.  And I already plan to ship a few to a short German guy I met through BurdaStyle (apparently there's a real dearth of mens patterns over there).  And don't be surprised if my next giveaway is a pattern for double-knit polyester bell-bottoms.

There's a moral here, folks:  Don't let your eyes be bigger than your stomach.

I think I've just experienced my first pattern binge.  Belch.


P.S. -- THIS is the pattern I'm really excited about, which I picked up yesterday on Etsy:

I can't wait to make version B!

No comments:

Post a Comment