Thursday 25 March 2010

The hills are alive...


Readers, I have officially jumped the shark.

This pattern will soon be in my stash, thanks to an impulsive "Buy it Now" cursor click.  You can probably guess where I'm going with this...


Whoops, wrong photo.  Let's try again:



Don't these images just put a lump in your throat and a song in your heart?  (Or is it the other way around?)

Just to clarify, this was NOT my idea -- not by a long shot.  But you-know-who has a weakness for all things Julie Andrews and I didn't feel up to this.  I don't know exactly when I'm going to make this little Tyrolean number, but rest assured it has risen nearly to the top of my to-sew list. 

Actually,  today's entry was supposed to be about finding one's sewing inspiration from the movies.  It was supposed to be about YOU, loyal followers and lurkers.  But as usual my enthusiasm got the better of me.

I recognize that most of you can relate to this kind of thing more than my kooky creations:


Some obscure blogger whipped this up last fall, inspired by Katherine Hepburn or Audrey Meadows or somebody.  But it was obviously inspired by a movie -- some might even say ripped off completely without so much as a nod to the original designer, Marc Jacobs. 

But getting back to movie inspiration, have any of you ever made this pattern?


 How about this one?


For me, when a pattern is marketed as a costume it totally loses its appeal to me (not counting clowns of course).  It seems just one step removed from those Halloween costumes from Woolworths (RIP), cheap plastic mask secured with a stapled-on rubber band.  Not to mention that if you're sewing one of these, so are a thousand other people.  Where's the fun in that?

In closing, I ask you:  Have you ever been inspired to sew something you saw in a movie?  Were you making a costume or a real, wearable (after October 31, that is) garment?  

What movie outfit would you most like to wear, if you could?

Get it off your chest!

And for your movie entertainment, you simply MUST watch this.  One question: weren't there seven children?  (I mean, talk about low budget.)



More hilarity:

No comments:

Post a Comment