Monday 1 March 2010

"Reader, I married him."


And he should arrive next week via UPS -- the Singer 15-91 I won on eBay Monday afternoon.

I know, I know, I already have eight sewing machines (I don't include the sergers).  But my friend Johanna has ten and she seems like a normal person with a life.  Plus, if I want to become a sewing celebrity, don't I have to invest in my craft?  With shipping, it was just shy of $80 which isn't bad for a 15-91.  Am I tacky to tell you what it cost?  We're practically family, right?

I think if I just have this one machine then I'll be set and I won't need any more...yeah, that's it.

I haven't talked much about sewing machines on Male Pattern Boldness because I don't want to scare you dears away, but suffice it to say that I am as passionate about these old mechanical machines as I am about makeovers, looks, and wrap dresses.

I expect my Singer to arrive early next week. He's (I've decided this one's a boy) in Indianapolis now, no doubt saying his goodbyes, getting into his bubble wrap jump suit, and preparing for the trip ahead.  I cannot wait to meet him.

Meanwhile, back on Planet Normal, guess who has started working on his new look?  (These are the "before" pics, btw.)

 

I know imitation is the highest form of flattery, but I think I have created a monster.  I hope all of you aren't doing this too.  I fear you may be.  Hey, the contest's over.

So I went fabric shopping yesterday...

I found this old cotton/poly duvet cover at the Salvation Army and it's going to make a fantastic shirt and maybe even a little A-line for my Cuz.  It's like two whole queen-size sheets -- or one comfy dog bed, apparently.


I love this print and it's in my new look palette, too!


Then, at one of my favorite fabric dives on 35th St., I found about three yards of this terrycloth in the cheapie bin:


I think I'm going to make a vintage-style mens short-sleeve shirt out of it, and use this 1972 pattern to make a pair of matching Bermuda shorts out of that old Vera table cloth I found a few weeks ago at the Salvation Army:





Cool, right?  I may even make my mother that robe I once intended to.  I didn't tell you this but my mother actually gave me one of her old robes to use as a model.  Thanks, Mom!

I also got this cotton knit -- white and fluorescent green stripes -- that just screams Eighties.


And this cotton seersucker, which will be a shirt for Michael most probably:


All that new fabric for just $8.  

So really, when you think about it, it's almost like that sewing machine is paying for itself.

A lot of people have asked me questions about sewing knits, and as I become more adept with them I intend to write more about it.  In the meantime, I'm going to tackle this terrycloth and hopefully have something more to show you tomorrow than a pile of fabric.

OK, time to wind some bobbins.  

Have a great day, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment