Sunday 28 March 2010

Chic Shirt Former Sheet of Shame!

 

Who would believe that just three days ago this garment was a discarded bed linen bearing the traces of unmentionable body fluids?

Quick: squint your eyes -- which is me and which is David Beckham?



 

(It's no wonder we're so often mistaken for one another!)

For those who are joining our story already in progress, you can fill in the blanks here and here.

From the humblest of humble origins -- just one step from the dump -- this shirt has already been out on the town with the famous Bloggettes, albeit sans cuffs.  I may also wear it today on a Lower East Side fabric hunt with my friend and fellow vintage sewing machine hoarder, the notorious Johanna.

Rest assured this garment is going to be laundered soon, preceded no doubt by a long Oxi Clean soak.  Only after reading your comments on Friday did I realize I may have already exposed myself to some scary dermatological conditions about which I was completely naive.  Please pray for me and my complexion.

I share the following photos with you not to boast, my friends, but rather to shore up a fragile ego.

Isn't this a pretty sleeve placket?



And how about this back pleat?



Honestly, I love this club collar thing.



This is how I'd intended to look on Friday.



I definitely want to make more of these shirts, which are so much snazzier than regular collared shirts, imo.

You can scroll through a whole album of me making this shirt here.  Maybe over coffee.

BTW, if that tie looks familiar, it's because it's the same one I wore 25 years ago to my brother's medical school graduation documented here.   (And to think they say if you wore it the first time around you're too old to wear it the second time around!)



Happy Sunday, everyone! 

(See you bright and early on the morrow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment