Tuesday 23 March 2010

Are you Polyvore-ous?


Well, are you?

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, don't worry: two days ago, I wouldn't have either.

BTW, it does not mean having two husbands -- not that there's anything wrong with that.

So in this week's "New Yorker" magazine I read an article about this hot new fashion/shopping/style website called Polyvore.  You can read the article here but please finish my blog first and yes, I mean you.

Basically, you cut and paste photos of stuff into a collage and then share it with other Polyvore readers.  You can choose from items already available on Polyvore or cut and paste your own images from any online catalog you like -- or anywhere else online -- with this "clip" tool they give you.

It's KIND of like sewing, except that instead of painstakingly choosing fabric, purchasing a pattern, spending hours turning it into a wearable garment, and then accessorizing it carefully to create a beautiful outfit, you move your cursor around what looks like a bottomless box of Colorforms and assemble a ransom-note-style decoupage of clothes and accessories YOU CAN BUY.  Which is ultimately the point.

So I thought I'd take a stab at it and this was the best I could come up with.  I mean, I do have a life people.


I know this looks like something dreamed up by someone with a Zac Efron poster on her wall, but so does EVERYTHING on Polyvore.  I think that's their demographic.  It's the "Legally Blonde, The Musical" crowd.

Or am I missing something?

Help me with this one, oh wise readers.  Do you use Polyvore?  Had you ever even heard of Polyvore?  Do you think it has value to a sewer -- or to anyone else for that matter?

I don't like it much; it's just not my thing.

Maybe I'll go back one more time.  Just to make sure I haven't missed anything.

OK, maybe I'll make a new collage -- or not.   If I could find those espadrilles in chartreuse for Cathy...and maybe a fabulous Dior hobo-style handbag to go with them.... and some sparkly earrings....and some Chanel eyeshadow...

Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment