Saturday 13 March 2010

Just send them in already!


Ok, so I bought this yesterday on eBay.  I know, I know: it's a clown costume.

You're going to think I'm nuts but I like the design elements.  I really want to know how to make that little puffy-sleeved jacket, the ruffled collar, and those parachute pants (well, parachute pajamas is more like it).

Yes, I probably could have figured it out myself.  But after reading Adele Margolis' pattern book last month and not drafting anything, I realized that I LIKE patterns.  I like the artwork, I enjoy re-creating a (now-vintage) design, and I like comparing how one pattern is drafted differently from another, similar pattern.  Plus, since fit is not a big problem for me, I don't have to draft right now.

But let's get back to the Big Top, shall we?

Have you ever noticed how many clown patterns are out there?  I mean, it's a little creepy.


I like the circus as much as anyone and I'm always up for a viewing of "The Greatest Show on Earth," but this doesn't feel right to me.  Why are there more clown costume patterns than there are fashionable men's pants patterns? What does this say about our world?

But here's another reason I'm fond of clown patterns: I find the color and print combinations very inspiring.  I especially like those bold vertical stripes and that polka-dot-on-one-side/solid-color-on-the-other look.  I also like chartreuse, apparently a very big clown color. 

You can see that there are many clown looks, too, from the more elegant du Barry "society ball" clown to the nightmare-inducing Pierrot black and white McCall's mime clown.  My personal favorite (beside the one I purchased, of course) is that Balanchine-inspired ballet clown costume.  To me that could pass for street clothes.

Lest you think that these are a little too over the top, please recall this from a recent Thom Browne menswear show:


If this doesn't make you want to ride a teeny tricycle or get shot out of a cannon, I don't know what does.

Now in keeping with today's theme, I want every single one of you to click the image below, get up from your chairs, and do a little dance.  It's Saturday, and time to get that blood pumping.



Wasn't that fun? Now, cooling down, please answer the following questions:

Do you own any of these patterns?  Have you ever made a clown outfit? (are you wearing one right now?)  What is your favorite clown costume design element?

And finally:  Why don't clowns wear belts?

Happy Saturday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment