Tuesday 16 March 2010

The Joan Collins dress

So I made a decision about what to sew next for Cathy!  (drum roll please)

 

Hold onto your hats, kids, we're going back to the EIGHTIES!

(Who groaned?  WAS THAT YOU, RIPPLE?)

I bought this pattern on eBay many months ago and I don't even remember why.  I was never a big Dynasty fan, though I did once borrow a Joan Collins beauty book-on-tape from the library and loved the way she pronounced vitamins, vit (rhymes with fit) - amins.  So veddy British.

Anyway, I was looking through my patterns yesterday when it hit me: I would make this dress for Cathy!  I even have the hat for it.

I think she's going to love it, peeps.

In fact, I was so enthusiastic about it that I looked online to see if there were any other Joan Collins patterns.  And there ARE.  In fact, there is an entire McCall's DYNASTY by Nolan Miller collection!

I know you're going to think I'm crazy (I say that a lot, don't I?) but I want to collect and make them all.

Feast your eyes on these and tell me they don't make you fantasize walking down a sumptuous marble staircase with John Forsythe on your arm -- or just being really bitchy.



And these are just some of them -- there are more, a LOT more!  (But where is Heather Locklear?)

I decided to use a vintage flowered Ralph Lauren flat sheet from the Eighties (I used to have the same sheet, so I know) I had in my stash that I think works very well.



This is a real departure for me and my identical cousin, but I think it's going to be fantastic -- and fun.

Here I am modeling the bodice yesterday. 



 

I hope Cathy has triple-strand pearls because I sure don't.

What do you think?  Is this a fashion faux pas or flat-out, unadulterated brilliance?

Have you ever made/worn any of these Dynasty outfits?  Do you think I can bring these shoulder padded, cap-sleeved creations back into fashion singlehandedly?  Twenty-five years is too long to wait for a revival.

I'm still wondering what happened to the McCall's "Green Acres" collection.

If you worked for McCalls, what collection would you most want to create?  (You have the entire history of television at your disposal.)

No comments:

Post a Comment