Monday 15 March 2010

Monday is Fun-day

Happy Monday, everybody!

First, I must share the magenta fedora I picked up at Goodwill yesterday and that has inspired my inner Sammy Davis, Jr..  I love a punchy accessory.

Wasn't last week fun?  If you're interested in knowing what girl I want to be or how I feel about clowns, link back to last Monday's post and review the week.  It's all there!

So what do I have to show for the last seven days?

1) I stitched up a very respectable pair of pajama bottoms for Michael.



This was an easy project that yielded good results.  I love seersucker and hope to pick up more to make summer shirts.  It's the perfect hot-weather fabric and, like linen, looks better a little crinkly so requires little care.

2) I finished my Vera tablecloth Bermudas.



Michael tried them on last night and was very happy with them, dwarf pocket openings notwithstanding.

3) I ordered and/or received some fun new (to me) patterns!

Kate in Berkeley sent me this lovely caftan pattern. Thank you, Kate!

You just can't have too many caftan patterns.  Like clown patterns, they all have their unique details and this one is no different.  What could be more comfortable than a caftan with side pockets for your housekeys or a few Kleenex?  VERY practical if perhaps a little "Garden of Allah" for Chelsea.

You probably know by now that I ordered a clown pattern, but I also picked up this:

Can't you see me in this vintage warm-up suit bouncing a soccer ball?  It's very now -- and then.  (But is it age appropriate?)

I don't think I bought any fabric last week (did I?) or too much of anything else other than a marked throat plate for my Singer 15-91.  (I have to refer to Mad Pattern Boldness whenever I'm trying to remember what's been going on in my life.)

4) This was a surprise!  As someone who revels in the spotlight, you can imagine how pleased I was, even if it hasn't led to any movie offers -- yet. 

5)  Not directly related to sewing, yesterday I backed up my hard driveI cannot emphasis strongly enough how essential it is to back up your computer files on a regular basis.  I do this about once a month and, having had my hard drive die on me last Spring, I felt incredibly thankful (if a little smug) that I'd been backing up my files, though I did lose about two weeks-worth of photographs and never was able to get my music properly re-sorted in iTunes.   Prices of portable hard drives have dropped dramatically and my new one doesn't even have to be plugged into an electrical outlet.

Now for the week to come:

1) I owe Cathy a dress and she's getting rather obnoxious about it.

2) It's time to make something for me for a change.  What will it be; I don't even know.

3) I haven't been fabric shopping in two weeks and I'm starting to feel a little anxious.  I've been very good about sewing from my stash; maybe I can pick up a little something special, huh?

But enough about the tedious details of my seamingly glamorous life.  What about yours?

If you haven't seen Mikhaela's orange silk floral maternity dress, you must!  I love pink and orange and I think I'm going to have to make something orange to go with my new pink fedora or just borrow Mikhaela's maternity dress.  I'll belt it.

In no particular order and in no way letting anyone else off the hook:

Kerry: we need to see your wrap dress, like, yesterday; Andrea: pictures of the zebra print wrap skirt, por favor; Fourkid: the purse, the purse, what of the purse?; Elle: have you finished your pink dress?;  Maggie: I'm not sure WHAT you're sewing these days.  Please clarify.

Kids, I'm very proud of the progress you've been making.  I think we're all going to have some lovely new outfits by Easter, or at least the 4th of July -- or Labor Day.   But we must be clear about priorities: jobs (or lack thereof), children, ailing parents, degenerative diseases: these are secondary.  

There's an awful lot of fabric out there in the world and it MUST get sewn.

And so, dear readers, with no further delay, rev your sewing machine pedals (vroom, vroom) and get to it! 

What's on your plate this week and does it come with fries?

No comments:

Post a Comment