Thursday 18 March 2010

29 New Patterns -- Peter hits the eBay Motherlode!


OK, I know this borders on the excessive -- like I really need 29 more mens patterns, right?

But one of the joys of running a sewing blog like Male Pattern Boldness is that I can rationalize most any sewing-related purchase: it's for the blog, after all!  (I did it for you, my loyal readers.  Can't you see that?) 

Yesterday afternoon I was mindlessly performing my daily eBay/Etsy search rituals (not always daily -- don't want you to get the wrong idea), when I stumbled on this just-listed Buy It Now posting of a lot of -- well you can see it for yourself: 29 vintage mens patterns from the 60s, 70s, & 80s.  (Why this seller didn't just contact me directly, I'll never know -- I mean, duh?)

The whole purchase came to about $15, which in my neighborhood is the price of a bagel and lox and a large coffee -- all gone in 20 minutes.  Think of how many MONTHS of pleasure these patterns are going to give all of us!

It sounds like these are mainly sizes 36" and 38" with a few larger sizes thrown in.  I can also see that there are a few doubles (great giveaways).

There are also a few jumpsuits!


And a few vests....  :(


And a LOT of bell-bottoms pants.

These sub-par photos off my computer screen will have to suffice for now.  But rest assured that after my package arrives I'll be posting lots and lots of pictures of these patterns in all their yellowed vintage glory.

This is my best pattern find so far, I think.  I never see mens patterns at my local flea market; I don't know if I'd ever find vintage mens patterns at all if it weren't for the Internet.

(What did we do before the Internet?)

So, readers, what was your best-ever pattern find?

What's the least you've ever paid for a great pattern?  What's the most?  (I've seen an original Diane von Furstenberg wrap dress pattern sell for something like $75.)    Do you have an upper limit for that hard-to-find pattern-of-your-dreams?

Do share!

No comments:

Post a Comment