Wednesday 10 March 2010

The Pajama Game


To go by current men's sewing patterns, you'd think most guys never left the house.  Based simply on the number of patterns out there, men wear bathrobes, pajamas, vests and, on holidays, a cumberbund. 

Where could you go in an outfit like that, besides 7-Eleven?

Frankly, I don't have much use for a cumberbund and the last time I wore a vest was my senior year high school production of Oklahoma!  As for pajamas, with the exception of Michael's septuagenarian father, no one I know wears them, myself included.

OK, that's not entirely true.



I picked up this old pattern (not really vintage -- 1996) to make a nightshirt for Michael a couple of months ago.  It came out kind of cute, imho.



I know I said we didn't wear pajamas, but I've always thought nightshirts adorably retro in a "Little Rascals" kind of way.  It's the closest we'll ever get to lingerie.

Anyway, that same month I made the nightshirt, I made these pajama bottoms, also for Michael:



Fast forward to the present.  You may recall this green seersucker from my last fabric-shopping spree:



Yesterday, taking a much-needed break from knits, I returned to my pajama pattern one more time and made these:





They're really for Michael, and more for lounging than for sleeping.  Thankfully, we don't have 7-Elevens here so they probably won't leave the house.  With a tee shirt or tank top however, you probably could wear them outside, especially at the beach.

I made them with my new Singer 15-91: my absolute favorite sewing machine.  Here I am finishing up some flat-felled seams.



I used my Singer Spartan with the buttonholer attachment to make these lovely buttonholes.



Here are my seams from the inside:




My friends, it's time you made your man some pajamas.  He doesn't have to sleep in them.

Don't have a man?  Then make some for yourself.  The techniques involved, like flat-felled seams (not necessary, but a nice touch that lends durability), are great practice for making dress shirts as well as pants, since you're also dealing with a fly, a waistband, and all those intersecting seams below the crotch.  And the fit is much, much easier.

I recommend visiting Etsy or eBay and buying the cheapest pajama pattern you can find in the correct size.  Pajamas haven't changed in decades and a really old vintage pattern (from the 40s, say) would be great fun to put together.  (If you find one in a mens 36" and you don't want it, send it my way.)

And take my word for it: he'll wear them; you'll wear them.  He really doesn't want a vest.

Now for your entertainment, the best movie EVER about pajamas AND the garment industry hands down (and isn't that Gertie in the polka dot dress in the second number?):





Happy Thursday, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment