Monday 29 March 2010

Oh, what a beautiful (Monday) mornin'


"There's a bright golden haze on the skyline, there's a bright golden haze on the skyline..." 

Happy Monday, everybody!  Hope you've had your morning coffee and are feeling chipper and cubicle-ready.

What a week it's been, huh?  I'm not talking about health care legislation or nuclear disarmament, I mean all that frenzied fabric shopping!  You'll have to wait till tomorrow to hear about yesterday's shopping adventures with the notorious Johanna, but rest assured we unearthed some treasures -- and re-buried them.

Another week gone by in a flash.  Where does the time go?  Am I the only person who can't remember what happened without referring back to his blog?

OK, now I recall:

1) Although I'd talked about making pants, I never got around to it.  Instead, I made the infamous sheet-of-shame shirt above.  I want to thank the dozens of you who sent in stain-removal tips.  Some were original and some were no doubt lifted piecemeal from "Heloise's Helpful Hints" but they were appreciated nonetheless!  I think I may just have to burn the shirt to be totally safe.  Oh, well.

2)  Some wonderful new patterns entered my life.  I haven't received the Do-Re-Mi number yet, but I did get my 80's evening gown, as well as these treasures:


I am particularly excited about the 1941 women's suit above, which I think should look smashing with this hat.  The pajamas are cool too, especially the blue striped ones.

3) I did a LOT of vicarious fabric shopping.  You already know about Friday's lunch with the Bloggettes, but I'd also been shopping two days earlier with an old elementary school friend I reconnected with via Facebook (I forgot to tell you about her; forgive me, dear readers) as well as yesterday's expedition with the Whirling Dervish of Queens, Johanna.

Now on to the week to come:

1) I want to buy fabric for the 1941 ensemble pictured above.  I've been in a 40s mood lately; who knows why.  I think a nice conservative rayon would work and fit the period, PLUS there's a rayon sale at one of my fabric dives in midtown.

2) I still want to make pants.  I've heard wonderful things about David Coffin's pants-making book, and I may bite the proverbial bullet and buy myself a copy.  Do you know it?

3) It's time to streamline my stash.  I'm one of those people who save every last fabric scrap from their sewing projects thinking, "Oh, I'll use this to practice on..." but this stuff accumulates FAST.  It's time to fill a bag and take it to the thrift store. 

Now.....what's been going on in your world?

LOOK what Amber recently finished!


She combined two patterns to make it; it's a long story -- visit her blog for details.  I think it's fab and Cathy -- whose purple passion knows no bounds -- is over the moon about it.

In no particular order:

Phoebe: the Colette dress you muslined: we need an update!  Gertie: Isn't it time you brought that "background dress" into the foreground?  Saintpudalia: How are the Badgley Mischka trousers coming along? Cupcake Goddess: Did you finish the spring dress yet?  Jenny: Have you decided on your next project?  Keep us posted!

I know you're expecting a dressing down from me, friends, but I am actually very proud of all of you, deadbeats included.  Sometimes even with the best of intentions we do get sidetracked by coastal flooding, earthquakes, and nuclear meltdowns -- as we should.  We can't sew well if we're worried about our very survival. 

That's when we need to turn on our favorite Easy Listening station, put our feet up, and drink a piping hot cup of something delicious -- the more chemicals, the better:





Have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment