Friday 2 July 2010

Sheers, Gowns, Elaine + POLL


Kids, I'm hooked on sheer fabrics.  I know it sounds crazy -- sheers tend to shift like crazy and fray something awful.  But they're purty.  I like the way they float.

I loved the sheer chiffon yoke on Cathy's Twenties dress...



When I recall childhood memories of favorite movie gowns, the black one up top always comes to mind.  Marjorie Reynolds wore it in "Holiday Inn."  Remember how she and Fred Astaire pose in silhouette behind that big paper valentine and and then leap through it at the end of the "Be Careful, It's My Heart" number?

That's the gown I want to sew -- demure, sheer, floaty, Forties.

Here's another floaty childhood favorite, albeit from the 60's.  Who doesn't love a champagne gown with ermine trim -- and crown?  (That's "Queen" Ginger Rogers licking her upper lip at 0:37.)

So friends, was it mere synchronicity that a certain you know who -- let's call her "X" -- no doubt bored out of her wits altering old schmattas reeking of paradichlorobenzene, suggested I make this gown for Cathy?


Do you like it?  I'm on the fence.  I like the gown itself but that sheer gathered overblouse...I don't know.  Is it a little too jeune fille for a sophisticated New York model on the wrong side of thirty?  "X" says it reminds her of Ginger Rogers.  But are we talking the Ginger of "Swing Time" or the Ginger of "Love Boat"?

(Apologies for the simultaneous Polish translation...)



Look, I accept that "X" has impeccable taste even if she can't see that taupe satin T-straps with a blue-gray dress are oh-so-wrong.

So what do YOU think?  (I also welcome your written comments: I hate to put words in your mouth!)


No comments:

Post a Comment