Saturday 3 July 2010

Jackie and Audrey: Style Icons for the Ages


Dress them up...



or dress them down.


No one embodied true Fifties style better than Jackie Gleason and Audrey Meadows.  Simplicity itself -- inspiring!

And then there's Grace...


Folks, it seems we're stuck in a rut when it comes to female style icons.  Are you with me on this? Maybe it's just the women I hang out and/or blog with.  It's all about these three, again and again and again.


Is it just the historical moment we're in and all the "Mad Men" hoopla?  It seems these women have never really gone away, not in my lifetime at least.  I say, Enough.

I brought this up with my cousin Cathy after our photo shoot on Wednesday and I asked her about her own style icons.  You know, she never once mentioned Jackie, Audrey, or Grace?

Cathy's style icons -- and there are many -- include:

Suzanne!

Valerie!

 Mitzi!


OK, they're pretty much all from the Seventies, but at least we've moved up twenty years.  They embody casual chic, with a little Bob Mackie oomph from Mitzi of course; glamour for a more democratic age.  More separates, less satin.

Cathy wears Charlie.


Audrey wore L'Interdit.


Need I say more?

Readers, who are YOUR style icons?  If you had to eliminate Jackie, Audrey, and Grace, could you still find someone to admire?

Is your style icon truly someone whose style you seek to emulate?  (I mean, how many Givenchy-inspired gowns can one person wear?)

Does she (or he) have one classic look you could describe and/or share with us?

Do tell! (You too, men.)

No comments:

Post a Comment