Saturday 19 June 2010

Thursday's LOOT + Twenties Style


OK, so yesterday I told you about my Thursday shopping adventures with that copper-headed Kiwi (that's what they call themselves, apparently), Shona. 

Now for my purchases.  Obviously I didn't buy anything at those vintage clothing stores; I'm strictly a Salvation Army kind of guy.   Recall that one of my next projects for cousin Cathy is one of these fabulous McCall's dresses from the late Twenties:





(If you have a strong opinion about one of these patterns over the other, please speak up NOW.)

Little by little I've been putting together accessories.  Here's what I have already (click pics to supersize):

Beaded black satin bag with long chain.   Don't love it, but it will do.


Black and gold fringed scarf/shawl: maybe, maybe not.


And here's what I got on Thursday with Shona:

If these don't scream Clara Bow, I don't know what does.   Black satin.  $5.99.  Dig the button on the side strap.  Shona suggested I decorate the front with some little sparkly doodad.


How about this?  Boop-boop-de-doop!  (If this is too showgirly, I also have a pretty good array of cloche-like things.)


Then there's this:  a black velvet and satin rose pin -- $2 at Angel Street thrift store.


Now as for fabric, I was thinking this cotton velvet laser cut pattern.  It would have to be underlined with something...Shona suggested a colored fabric to break the black a bit.  It even has a border.

Here it is atop a peachy fabric:


And here it is over something purplish:


What do you think -- Is it too Norma Desmond?


Or worse...?


While I have a camp sensibility, let me assure you, Cathy has none.

So I'm leaving it in your hands:  What should I make this Twenties dress out of, and if I buy the velvet fabric, how do I handle the slightly gathered front yoke?  The alternative would be some sort of lightweight poly satin that doesn't look too much like lining material.

Any other must-have accessories you can think of? 

I'm all ears...beads, and sequins!


Worth a chuckle...

No comments:

Post a Comment