Monday 14 June 2010

Monday Morning Madness + GOALS!


If there ever was a silhouette I didn't want to see again, that's the one.  Let's bury it for another twenty-five years, shall we?

Happy Monday, kids and kidsters!

I don't know about you, but I'm still tired from the weekend.  Oh, not because of Cathy's photo shoot, but because of these two:


I spent Saturday afternoon fabric shopping and tearing up the town with my friends Johanna and Rachel and it was exhausting!  Johanna you know of course as the gal with the ten vintage sewing machines.  Rachel you recognize from her popular blog, A Sewn Wardrobe -- not that she was wearing any of that wardrobe on Saturday, mind you, which kind of makes you wonder...

Rachel is one of those people you hang around with when you want to feel really old and crabby by comparison.  She's so vivacious and enthusiastic and fresh it's alarming.  And don't even get me started on her dewy complexion.


Ugh.

Johanna's less irritating if you can reconcile yourself to a woman with a fantastic sewing machine collection who is basically a knitter/crocheter.  There -- I said it:  Johanna pretends to sew.  She buys fabric and notions, she even picked up a box of Singer attachments for a slant machine at the flea market on Saturday, but I have yet to see her actually use any of them.

Observe:


Does that look like the skirt of a sewist?  (What he's wearing is anybody's guess...)

Anyway, I'll have more details later in the week or just check out Rachel's blog to hear her (peppy and youthful) side of the story.

So let's review last week:

1. In a word: Cathy and that don't-even-mention-it pattern she modeled this weekend.  "It" arrived Monday afternoon so I dropped everything and stitched it up.  I posted the results yesterday and most of you were kind and understanding about it, for which I thank you.

I never drafted those pants like I said I would.  However....

2.  I successfully re-threaded my Brother 1034D serger -- a great little machine, imo -- and used it to finish Cathy's ravel-y seams.

3.  I bought this!


It's almost vacation time here at MPB and we're bringing Cathy along!

I'm not 100% sold on this halter-top bikini so maybe I'll pick your brains about it later in the week.  Cathy has all the usual hang-ups about swimsuits plus a few unusual ones.  And she absolutely refuses anything that screams "Beach Blanket Bingo." 

Now on to this week:

1.  I still want to do something with this cotton stripe I picked up last week.  A shirt, boxers, a caftan -- or some kicky combination of all three?

2.  Drafting -- I must get back to drafting.  This week: pants.

That's it!  I'm going easy on myself for a change.

But I'm bearing down on you.  So... 

Ruth: Did you finish your hemming? (How about your hawing -- yuck yuck); Liesl: How did your collar turn out?  Stacyverb: Where can we see your poppy-print top?  Kate: Scotty dog update please!  Lozzen: How are you doing with your notched collar?  Did you figure it out?  Casey: Did you make your floral dress?  Laura: Does Evie have a nightgown yet and will there be matching mules?

I don't like to make an example of any of you individually, but it is an effective strategy.  Just look what fellow MPB  reader and blogger Elizabeth made up:  a June sewing plan!


This is the kind of outside-the-box thinking I'd like to see from all of you.  Elizabeth, congratulations on a job well done.  This is a great idea and even I resent you a little bit for thinking of it.

And so the week begins!  What will you be sewing or -- let's acknowledge the obvious -- thinking about sewing?

Do tell!

P.S. -- Don't people have beach parties anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment