Monday 21 June 2010

My Twenties dress: new fabric, new plan!



So thanks to popular demand, I've chosen McCalls 4907, the Twenties dress with the front and back yokes, as my next project for Cathy.  Isn't democracy great?

Now, as I mentioned over the weekend, I was thinking of using a black cotton velvet fabric which has since been identified as a burnout.   (Not a very propitious name if you ask me.)

I went fabric shopping yesterday and took a closer look at it and, I don't know, it just doesn't say "youth" to me.  It says funeral.  Rudolph Valentino's funeral.

Honestly, lovely as it is, it isn't summery or lightweight enough.



So I dug around the store and came up with this poly chiffon -- a totally new approach.



I'll be underlining front and back with this:



The two fabrics work well together and drape beautifully.  (I'll use light-colored serger thread, promise.)



The dress pattern itself suggests a similar look:



I just love this palette, especially for summer, and I think it's going to flatter Cathy tremendously.  It's not bad on me either... (it's actually paler than it appears here, as in pic below).



I'm not sure what this pattern is called; perhaps one of you knows.  I want to say it's Indian, but maybe not.  Is it Middle Eastern, European?  Any art history majors out there?



I felt a little guilty making this executive decision without consulting you guys, but what could I do?  I looked at a lot of fabric and some lovely, lovely things, some of which might have been harder to sew.  Let me deal with the challenge of underlining before I tackle velvet and silk.

Finally, I got this poly chiffon for $2/yd -- DING DING DING!   You already know how my mind works.

I hope to get this underway today though I'm supposed to meet my brother and future SIL to pick wedding invitations.  This is what happens when you're an arbiter of style, I guess.

So...the fabric?   What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment