Monday 21 June 2010

Hot Monday Meltdown + GOALS


Good morning, sewists and welcome once again to my north-facing living room wall.

I don't know about the weather where you are but it is HOT in NYC.  And humid.  That said, it was breezy enough at 6:15 a.m. for me to wear my new self-drafted gray pants when I walked the dogs, and while they didn't exactly stop traffic, I didn't hear snorting under one's breath either.

Yesterday's post inspired me to dig out those Kwik Sew pants I made last month with those tiny gathers on the outer edge of the front pockets I obsessed about and, you know, those pants are SO much nicer than I'd remembered them and those gathers are hardly visible.  Does that ever happen to you: something you thought was SUCH a big flaw in your sewing project and weeks later you don't even know what the big deal was?

What I really need now are shorts -- did I mention it was hot here?  Maybe I'll whip something up in the coming days.

But first let's review last week.  For me it was all about drafting pants.  And speaking of pants and shorts -- look what Prada just showed in Florence this week!


Separated at birth? 



I'm like, Hello Miuccia?

So back to my week:

1.  I continued pattern drafting.   I drafted culottes and a pair of pants -- OK, so they were Audrey Hepburn-esque cigarette pants, but still.

2.  I made my first pair of self-drafted man pants, which I presented here yesterday.

3.  I bought Cathy a bathing suit pattern in anticipation of our trip to Fire Island next month.  More about that in the coming weeks.

I think that's it; shopping with Shona is less an accomplishment than a lack of fiscal discipline.

Now for the week that spreads before us like hot tar on a parking lot:

1. I want to continue on in my pattern drafting book to Lesson 4: Tops.   This is a relief as I'm really getting tired of fitting my hips.  Then we can move on to real shirts.

2.  It's time to get started on Cathy's Twenties party frock.  With your help I think I've decided on the pattern and main fabric, I just have to figure out the underlining thing.

3. Maybe I'll make myself some shorts.  Or just chop the legs off something I've made in the past.

But enough about my sweaty existence.  What's going on in your hot corner of the world?

Mainelydad: Happy Father's Day and how is that ongoing Japanese pattern drafting book coat project coming along?  Pattern Junkie: The skirt, the skirt, did you finish the skirt?  Elle: Belated congratulations on your daughter's wedding and how's that knit dress looking?  Jenny: Did you make the Father's Day shirt?  How did it turn out?  Ruth: Baby quilt update please.  Lisette: Did you finish the Ruby shorts?  indywriter: What are you sewing these days; I'm very confused.

Whew!  Glad that's over.  We're out of milk so I haven't had my coffee yet and it probably shows.   I made some peppermint tea but, lemme tell you, it's not the same -- though I do feel calmer.  So I'm not going to rag on you collectively.  You're all doing well...ish.  And when it's this hot, can we really ask for anything more?

I'm a little concerned about some of you who describe sewing machine repair issues cramping your style.   Get yourself to a thrift store or garage sale and for the price of lunch at Denny's you can get yourself some old backup mechanical machine that's probably as reliable as what you already have -- unless that happens to be another old mechanical machine.  They're practically giving those old machines away; won't you find it in your heart to give an orphan a home?

Last puppy pick of the day.  Freddy is the dog who does not like to be cuddled.  Tough!


So what are you sewing this week?  And how about this heat?

No comments:

Post a Comment