Thursday 17 June 2010

Peter's First Long Pants


I'm finally old enough...


Ta da!







I drafted these yesterday -- a little more complicated than culottes to be sure but the Dorothy Moore pattern drafting book walks you through it step by step.  I used another old cotton/poly sheet -- I have a lot of those!

With that side zipper they are a little vintage Connie Stevens...but in a good way.  For the first time I installed an ordinary zipper, under the stitched seam, which is then ripped open.




Here's what the two pattern pieces look like, front and back:



You can see the differences better with the front pattern piece lying on top of the back. 



Here's the illustration from the drafting book.  The front piece is dark, and the lines surrounding it are the alterations you make to draft the back:



I'm very pleased with the way these fit and I'm eager to make them again, this time with fly and pockets and in something other than somebody else's used bedding.  When it comes to fitting yourself for pants, it's really great to be "average."

I also own this book by Jane Rhinehart on drafting men's clothes.



Their pants pattern looks like this:



Not very different except for the wider leg.

How do you feel about men in tight pants, readers?  They make me think of Tony Curtis...and this:



Provided you can sit down I think they're snazzy.  (Enough with the saggy butts.)

So, readers, are you ready to take the pants plunge?

Special bonus trailer!  WARNING: Adult themes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment