Thursday 24 June 2010

Saying Hello...and Saying Good-bye

 

Good morning, friends!  (And to my beloved Kiwis, why are you still up?  Lights out!)

As you can see from the photo above, I've been pattern drafting again -- this time a top -- and if you're wondering where you've seen that outfit before, I believe Ann-Margret wore it in "The Pleasure Seekers."  Or was it Carol Lynley?

So much to tell today, friends.

First the good news.  Please help me welcome three yards of striped poly chiffon to my fabric family!

 





This will become my McCall's 1929 dress very shortly.  For you burnout and paisley fans, well, I'll make it up to you somehow.

And now on a more somber note, today we must also say good-bye.





I bought nearly five (!) yards of this glittery poly chiffon (the end of a bolt) back in my pre-Male Pattern Boldness days with the intention of making Cathy something slinky and chic with it.  Unfortunately no sooner did I get it home than I realized that this heat-transfer glitter fabric will shed glitter on EVERYTHING, ALWAYS.   Pinhead-sized sparkles will show up in your carpeting, on your pets, under your fingernails, and in your stool.  Today it becomes somebody else's headache.  (If you're interested in it, it should be for sale at the Salvation Army in Chelsea by noon.)  I can't be bothered with it.

I worked on my self-drafted top yesterday and there's still much work to be done.





I want to shift the side dart on the front piece (right) to the bottom so I can adapt this for a men's shirt, among other things.  I'll probably stitch up another muslin today with a deeper armhole too.



Paired with those cigarette pants, it makes quite a statement though I'm loathe to consider just what that statement is; I'm sure you can think of something witty but please be kind.

That's it, kids!  Much to do.  I hope you're happily stitching away wherever you are.  Everybody seems to be suffering from either too much heat or too much cold.  Anybody out there happy with their weather?

Oh and regarding my stripes: Should I cut the yoke on the bias?  I don't think I'll underline the yoke, but if I do, do I cut the yoke underlining on the bias too or cut it parallel to the selvage?   Nancy?  Debbie? 

Happy Thursday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment