Sunday 20 June 2010

Peter's first self-drafted MAN pants



Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there and their admirers. 

So I finished the jeans-style pants I made with my self-drafted pants pattern.  Last week I'd bought about three yards of a $2/yd. gray cotton weave (not really a twill) with a bit of stretch in it.

Using elements from a men's jeans Kwik Sew pattern I made pants with last month, I added fly, back patch pockets, front pockets, belt loops, etc.  I topstitched with plain old orange polyester thread.

The stretch in the fabric caused me all kinds of headaches.  My self-drafted pattern was sized for a fabric with no stretch, and I had to do a lot of stitching and ripping in the crotch, sides...basically everywhere, to make these fit well.  It's a minor miracle these came out looking as good as they do because at one point yesterday I'd resigned myself to making shorts.

Look closely at the weave.





It's not your usual twill but kind of resembles grosgrain ribbon.  Any insights, readers?  My knowledge of fabric is like, cheap or expensive.

The front, where I now have a fly, is an eensy bit wider than it might be; I think after I wash and dry them again they'll tighten up a bit all over.   Maybe I just need to drink more beer.



Frankly, these bear very little resemblance to my self-drafted pattern.  Once they were cut and front pockets attached, I just fit them to my body as best I could and threw seam allowances out the window.   Stitching up the inseam in particular, I had to cut a lot of fabric away.  The back pieces on a pair of jeans go every which way -- up and down, diagonally, sideways -- when they're stitched to the front pieces, and stretch complicates the fitting.  I did cut the fabric parallel to the grain so I don't get it.

The best part of the fit, imo, is the seat.  This is the last close up of my butt I'll post this month, promise!



So there you have it.  Very comfy jeans-style pants I drafted myself with a little help from Kwik Sew 2123 and lots of luck.  I'm SO over stretch fabrics, by the way -- enough.

Here's an album of project pics if you're so inclined, with a few gratuitous puppy shots thrown in.

Happy Sunday everybody, and I'll see you bright and early on the morrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment