Monday 28 June 2010

Merman Monday + GOALS!


Good morning, sewers from all my favorite continents! 

We have a very special guest at MPB this morning -- Miss Ethel Merman!  Ethel's a big fan of Male Pattern Boldness and I told her she could come and watch this morning as long as she didn't break anything.

I hope everyone is feeling bright and chipper and ready to stitch today; I know I am.  There's so much to do.  My little McCall's Twenties frock is still hanging on its body form unsewn.  I seem to be experiencing a mild case of chiffon-itis -- it can creep up on you when you least expect it, apparently. 

But I am excited to see how it turns out: based on your comments Cathy will look like either Louise Brooks or Estelle Getty, may she rest in peace.  Of course I'm hoping for the latter since it won't be long before Cathy is sharing a condominium with three septuagenarians herself.

With no further delay, a brief review of the past week:

1. I bought fabric for my Twenties dress.  And then againAnd then again.   And then a little bit more.  Let's just leave it at that. 

2. I drafted a decent top, Lesson 4 in my pattern drafting book.   Next up is Lesson 5 - Overblouse (otherwise known as a shirt).  This lesson gets us into sleeves and collars, so should be quite a thrill ride.  I discussed some of my shoulder and back issues with Michael, who teaches the Alexander Technique, and he assured me that, rather than fuss with alterations to my sloper, I could have him teach me how to improve my posture quite easily.  After nearly eight years don't you think he might have addressed that already?   Better late than never!

3. Even more exciting than my posture, however: savvy sewist and blogger extraordinaire Mikhaela has given birth to a lovely baby girl!  It seemed like she was pregnant for about three years, but the results are so worth it.  Please visit Mikhaela at Polka Dot Overload and see lovely Cartoonist Baby "Z."  (Here's hoping that "Z" stands for Zoe and not Zsa Zsa.)

But enough about Mikhaela, what will I be giving birth to this week?

1. Must. Finish. Twenties. Dress.

2. More Pattern Drafting  (I'm trying to use different sheets to keep it interesting for you.)

3. Friends, how's this for lazy: I think I'm going to turn my self-drafted pants into shorts after all.  I never did get around to making myself shorts last week and that stretchy faille, or whatever strange fabric it was I made the pants out of, has a maddening tendency to twist below my knee in that ugly way that puts the inseam 180 degrees west.  Not pretty and not easily tamed. 

4. I have two weeks before my Fire Island trip and two complete resort wardrobes to create.  And that's just for the dogs.  Seriously, it's time to make my first Cath-kini!

And what of you?  Did you create any new life this past week? (Keep it clean please.)

Mom2five: How's the shirt coming along?  LauraD: Is your sewing machine out of the shop yet?  Toby: Congratulations on your navy skirt -- and the chicken tractor -- but don't get complacent.  Ruth: Any quilt updates to provide?  Sewforward: When do we get to see the "Shorts! Shorts! Shorts!"?  Melanie Jade: Are you almost done with the wedding gown?  Is the groom wearing anything?  Shona (In the Heyday): How is that Hawaiian dress is coming along?  Can't wait to see it!

I'm actually very happy with your progress, folks, or maybe it's just the coffee kicking in or Mikhaela's new baby;  I am experiencing one of those rare moments of peace.  Life is good and sewing makes it better.

Have a great day everybody and don't forget to say hi to Ethel on your way out; it means a lot to her still.

And what's on your sew-genda this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment