Wednesday 23 June 2010

"Oh, SHI--chiffon!" I'm in trouble.



NOTE: This post includes images that may cause temporary double-vision, vertigo, nausea and/or fatigue.  MPB is not liable for any resulting injuries or accidents to readers.   Please avoid if pregnant or using prescription medication.

Readers, look closely at the image above.  Do you see a pattern?   Does it repeat and where?

Look again.  Take a minute or two.



There is a pattern here, rest assured.  A very, very WIDE and subtle pattern.

Now look at this:



And this...



And this...



Loyal followers and lurkers, can you see what the problem here is?  Can you see why after a noon meeting uptown today that rest assured is not psychotherapy not that I wouldn't benefit from some at this point I will be heading back to the fabric store?

I can hear your collective groan of empathy and I thank you.  It means a lot to me to know you're there, wherever there is and half the time I have no idea.  I try to keep things in perspective.  This is not the BP oil spill or even the Exxon Valdez.  In fact it rates no worse than the Titanic and much less than the Jonestown Massacre.  Life goes on.

I will use this lovely periwinkle and lavender print, oh yes, I will.  Gathered and and covered with cheap beads, it's very lovely.  It will make a beautiful caftan, beach cover-up, or dress so flowing your eye never tries to make out what's actually going on with those artsy-fartsy medallions.

 

But the bodice, well really the whole front of my Twenties dress is flat.  Very flat.



A confession.  Confused and impatient to hear some words of validation last night, I took my problem directly to the Pattern Review message board.  (What was I supposed to do, post something here at MPB and hope that some reader in New Zealand would be up at 2 am my time?  I don't even know where New Zealand is, or Old Zealand for that matter.)

Anyway, a few kinds souls on Pattern Review confirmed my worst suspicion: this chiffon print is not meant for this dress.

Oh well.

Readers, has this ever happened to you?    Have you ever fallen for and purchased a print fabric that, upon closer examination at home, was wrong for your project?   Did you paid more than $2/yd for it?

That would make me feel much, much better.

Finally: what do you think about big polka dots?  Stripes?

Have a great day, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment