Wednesday 30 June 2010

Almost...but not quite



Readers, this Twenties dress -- which seems to have been so long in the making I was in my Twenties when I started -- is nearly done.  The sleeves went on without much trouble and the belt was easy to make, though still needs tweaking.  Need to hem, too.




The sleeves are not underlined, and the seams at the armsyce are delicate, particularly where semi-sheer chiffon sleeve meets sheer chiffon yoke.  I stitched the armscye twice but haven't serged the seam allowance because I don't want a thick seam that might show through the fabric.  I thought about using bias tape to reinforce it and then pressing this under to the sleeve side, but decided against it -- too bulky.  Stitching can strengthen a seam but can also weaken a fabric.  No one's going mountain climbing in this dress, after all.

I'm not sure how a seam like this would be finished on a commercial garment; some garments are delicate and that's that.  I'm used to thicker, more durable fabrics.  Chiffon deserves a chapter all its own.

Meanwhile I am still recovering from the high drama that is "Susan Slade," a little-known  (never released on VHS) tearjerker from the early Sixties directed by Delmer Daves, a sort of second tier Douglas Sirk.


If you enjoy tales of teen romance, unwed mothers, and family secrets (grandmother posing as mother) and love movies where the female characters wear matching stiletto heels with every outfit, you'll love "Susan Slade."  Great early Sixties fashion and Troy Donahue too!  And did I mention the sumptuous cinematography and Max Steiner score?



I could write a blog about old movies but you know, I'd rather write about making things myself than about what others have made -- much more fun.

Today I return to pattern drafting, hopefully, and pulling Cathy's ensemble together for our next shoot.  Never a dull moment.

Cathy took a red-eye from Los Angeles last night and is in a deep beauty slumber as we speak.  The life that girl leads...  Thank goodness for concealer is all I can say.

Have a great day, everybody!

For those who missed it the first time...

No comments:

Post a Comment