Wednesday 1 December 2010

More DECLUTTERING delight!



Meet Marcia (name changed to protect her from envious MPB stalkers), the proud new owner of my beloved Singer Genie.  Please don't hate her.  The machine was actually a gift to Marcia from a friend (an MPB reader, no less) and Marcia came to pick it up not even knowing what it would be.  I could have given her my old razor with no questions asked.

Friends, so much to tell!  I have sold two more sewing machines in the last twenty-four hours, and I'm confident one more will go out today.  I thought I enjoyed buying sewing machines till I tried selling them.  It's thrilling!

My very first sewing machine, my uber-powerful, speedy Kenmore 158.1212, is now owned by a man named Pablo who wants to sew leather with it. Perfect.
 

My White "Fair Lady" -- a gift from my friend Jamie and Jamie, if you're reading this, don't hate me -- is now the property of lovely, young, multiple-pierced Tara. As you can see, I'm not very sentimental about gifts.



I think these machines went fast because I sold them at very reasonable prices, plus they're nice machines.  I now have enough cash to cover the cost of my vintage taupe American Tourister luggage set and maybe a bagel and coffee, I mean tea.

I think we may be saying good-bye to my Brother LS2125 later today.  Someone who originally expressed interest in the White (which had already sold) may purchase my Necchi 555, which is nearly identical to a Supernova Julia.  That one I won't part with cheap as it's a fantastic, unusual machine with a lot of accessories.  I hadn't thought of selling it originally, but why not?  I don't use it.

Still no bites on the Elna Grasshopper.  

I must recommend this decluttering book.  I've read a lot of these kinds of books and probably you have too, but Organizing for the Creative Person is my favorite so far and really speaks to a right-brained type like me.  You can buy a used paperback copy for a penny on Amazon.



Next, I went to work on my fabric stash.  Actually, not my stash, my fabric scrap pile.  This is where I generally run into trouble.  I don't really have a big stash because, as you know, I tend to buy fabric as I need it, locally.  The fabric in my stash is mainly stuff I bought with a particular project in mind that just got stalled.  But I have a lot of fabric scraps from completed projects.  I started a very amusing thread on the Pattern Review message board about it yesterday.  People are divided into highly polarized pro-scrap/anti-scrap-hoarding camps.  Fascinating stuff.

Anyway, I just bit the bullet and stopped worrying about what I would do if I needed to repair the cuff of a shirt I made six months ago and sorted through all that crap, dumping 80% of it.  Frankly, by the time I've finished a sewing project, I don't want to see the fabric again!



I have three large bags awaiting pick up.  I posted it in the free section of Craigslist and within ten minutes had eight responses.  Let's see if anyone actually shows up to take it.  There's something about free that attracts impulsive types who don't always follow through.  Maybe I should have charged $1 per bag.



I'll be posting more stuff on Craigslist today, including an old bike and some more lamps.  I have been bitten by the decluttering bug (or haven't you noticed). I may have to change the focus of this blog from sewing to organizing!

Sadly, still no takers for this:



Friends, please don't think I've completely forgotten about sewing.  I've received some wonderful new patterns of late, including two handbag patterns and my men's toggle coat pattern (shipped all the way from sunny Barcelona).  As soon as my space is tidy, I'll be getting back to work.

I hope I am inspiring some of you to dig yourselves out of the detritus.  It has truly made me feel happier and healthier.  I can't explain it.

Have a super-organized day, everybody!  If in doubt, throw it out.

UPDATE, 3:30 PM: 

Brother LS2125 - SOLD!
Bags of fabric - GONE! 
White dog - WHINING FOR DINNER.

No comments:

Post a Comment