Sunday 12 December 2010

Toggle-free Sunday



Friends, I made absolutely no progress on my toggle coat yesterday due to a wedding-related party my mother threw up in the Bronx (or rather ...my mother threw, up in the Bronx) for all the neighbors she has known for decades but who didn't make the wedding cut.  Plus a few who had been invited but were too old and frail too attend.  At one point we had actual walker traffic, with a line of four waiting to get through my mother's foyer.

I am delighted to report that my brother and Prachee are still married.  Less happy am I to report that Prachee, whom I absolutely adore and who offered me and Michael a lift home, is the embodiment of the female driver stereotype.  The whole ride back to Manhattan I had my heart in my throat and I was actually relieved when she mistakenly turned off the West Side Highway and, realizing they'd never get the rented car back in time if they took us all the way home, let us out on Central Park West where we caught the subway the rest of the way.  White knuckles returned to normal flesh tone.

I suspect a great many MPB readers are themselves female drivers and I certainly don't mean to offend.  But there is a difference.  Thoughts?

I had a near decluttering setback yesterday evening when I found myself trolling eBay searching for vintage sewing machines -- no doubt due to post-family function-related stress.  Thankfully I caught myself before I bid on anything.  But I did toy with the idea of picking up a Viking 6020.  Yes, I know, I already have a Viking, but I don't have a 6020, a model from the early Seventies that comes with four embroidery cams. 

It's not rational, obviously.


Then I remembered my promise, made right here on MPB, not to buy anything on eBay for the rest of the year.  It's only three weeks. (I don't want a Featherweight, do I?  What would I do with it?  I don't go anywhere with a sewing machine.  Do you have one?  Do you like it?)


There's something about selling six sewing machines that makes it easy to rationalize the purchase of another.  I have to remind myself that my six remaining machines are still plenty.  I have back-ups of back-ups, and if we ever lose electricity, there's the treadle.

Friends, that's it.  It's pouring rain here this morning and quite blustery and unpleasant.  I'm having breakfast with an old friend I haven't seen in twenty-five years and that should be (wet) fun.  She has recently moved back to the States from London and is eager to check out the Chelsea flea market as she has an apartment to furnish.

Who knows what treasures we'll find there?  Hopefully nothing with a presser foot.

Happy Sunday everybody!




No comments:

Post a Comment