Monday 20 December 2010

Conflicted Sewing


Wise readers, do you subscribe to the belief that our outer worlds are a reflection of our inner worlds?


Do you know people with chaotic lives that seem to mirror the turmoil within?

To bring this concept into sewing (where it shall remain henceforth), do you ever wonder why the projects we're most excited about generally move swiftly and smoothly to completion while other projects -- projects we might be less committed to -- keep bumping into obstacles?

Remember that straight skirt I started making for my mother?  It's not done though I could probably complete it in an afternoon.



Remember the corduroy jacket still sitting in a rectangular Sterilite plastic storage box under my bed?



How about Michael's suit?  (He won't let me forget it.)



It's important to be clear with ourselves about what we want to be sewing and what we don't in order to avoid this dilemma, friends.  Conflicted sewing never results in our best work and is the source of little joy.

Enter the holidays.

I bought these two patterns with the intention of stitching up some tote bags I might give as gifts to Michael's mother -- or my own -- or Michael's sisters.  Are you surprised I haven't even gotten started?



Last week I received this dog coat pattern.  Do you think I'm excited about making Freddy a coat? 



Friends, how do you push through sewing projects you're conflicted about?  What techniques do you use to make yourself sew that hundredth pair of little girl pajamas (you know who you are), flannel boxer shorts for your DH, or throw pillows for the RV, when what you'd rather be sewing is a vintage Vogue Paris Original by Yves Saint Laurent?


What I'm really asking is: how do I work up the enthusiasm to make a couple of faux-python tote bags between today (Monday) and Saturday?  I'm running out of time.

So what am I really excited about, you ask?  Guess!





Folks, I need strategies -- affirmations, meditations, incantations-- something to help me push through these projects. 

MUST I let a cold chihuahua dictate my actions?

Does/Did this ever happen to you?  What do you do about it?

Your wise counsel, please!



No comments:

Post a Comment