Tuesday 30 November 2010

One down, four to go!



Good morning, neatniks, slobs, and vicarious downsizers.

So I did it -- I sold a sewing machine yesterday!  I am loathe to tell you which one for fear it might be your favorite and I don't want to cause a ruckus.  OK, it was my Singer Genie.  I know many of you love the Genie and I loved mine too.  But I never used it.  I have three other Singers, albeit without the irresistible flower-power details. 

One of my strengths -- and potentially a weakness too -- is that once I set my mind to do something, I do it.  OK, sometimes I do it.  Well I have set my mind to cut my sewing machine collection in half and keep only the machines I use.  The machines I'm selling (on New York Craigslist; I don't do shipping with things this heavy) are all in excellent shape, I'm just tired of having stuff around I don't use, tripping over sewing machine cases, and vacuuming the dust bunnies that collect behind them.

I have someone coming to see another machine today, plus a lamp and a mirror.  Like I said yesterday, I'm on a roll!

I hope you will still visit here at Male Pattern Boldness when I only have six or seven sewing machines.  It'll still be just like before, only less cluttered, aside from all that vintage luggage.

And now dear friends, I must ask about the clunkers.  I have two: a Necchi Lydia with a broken cam shaft that only sews straight stitch and an ulcer-inducing vintage Huskystar serger 535D serger that cost me many days' work to thread and set up correctly, only to go all wonky when I tried serging through eight layers of denim a little more than a year ago.  Then I gave up on it.  It's mechanically fine but might need some tuning up, I'm honestly not sure.  I refuse to invest another minute in that machine and now that I have my Brother 1034D, I don't need to.
 



Should I try to sell these machines or just bring them to the thrift store, or the curb?  The Lydia is gorgeous and a great mid-century display item but I'm all through with display items now that my living room is a sweat shop.

Sad to say, neither machine has brought me much joy and in the case of the Huskystar, considerable agita.    

I can't tell you what a thrill it is to declutter.  It's not about the money; at this point, I would practically pay someone to take these off my hands or rather, my kitchen floor.   The universe even placed a two-drawer Sterilite plastic container unit in my dog-walking path yesterday afternoon which I'll use to store...gee, I'm not even sure.  Still, what is that but a sign that I am on the right path?

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for....


Whoops, wrong photo!  From this...



To this.



Big improvement, no?  (That Brother sewing machine in the background should be gone by week's end.)   I think so.

OK, I must go back to decluttering; wish me luck.  And then, perhaps someday soon, I might actually get back to sewing!

Have a great day, everybody!

UPDATE (1:20 pm): Sold another sewing machine -- Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment