Saturday 20 February 2010

Suit-us Interruptus or "The Dutiful Son"



I was so excited about getting my jumpsuit finished by today.  It's coming along extremely well and I'll be debuting it here tomorrow (Sunday), so be sure to check in.

But I didn't finish the jumpsuit because I got sidetracked.  I made my mother a fleece jacket.




Originally I'd planned to make my mother a bathrobe, but she didn't like the horizontal stripes in the fabric I'd purchased.  Lemonade from lemons, I ended up using that striped knit to make this.


On Monday I went fabric shopping with some other Pattern Review members and I bought about a yard-and-a-half of heavy, high quality black fleece, thinking I'd make my mother a little jacket.



I actually adapted the same pattern I'd used to make Michael's Valentines Day jumpsuit, if you can believe it.  My mother is short and somewhat stout, so I wanted a pattern with raglan sleeves, which tends to be roomier under the arm and in the bust.  I added a few inches to the chest and added a simple collar and of course, didn't add legs.

Ta da!



It fits her well and she seemed to like it.  My mother is not one to gush about gifts and honestly, while she seemed grateful, her response was about the same as if I'd found this fleece for her at the Salvation Army.   Then again, it's not like I'd put it in a box and wrapped it for her.  I just sort of pulled it it off the dummy and had her try it on.

I generally enjoy sewing for others, but this project didn't leave me with a very warm feeling or sense of accomplishment.  Still, I'm glad I did it.  Your parents are your parents, after all and they won't be around forever.

Have you ever sewed something for someone and their reaction was not what you'd hoped?

Do you think knowing how to sew makes you appreciate a home-sewn gift more -- or less?

Dig in.

No comments:

Post a Comment