Sunday 21 February 2010

Jump(suit) for Joy!



Ta da!

I made this jumpsuit from Butterick 5629, a vintage pattern from the Sixties sent to me by one of my readers, Paulette.  As soon as I saw it, I knew we were meant for each other (the jumpsuit, not Paulette).  I used a stretchy cotton twill I'd bought last fall with the intention of making a trenchcoat, but never got around to making it.




Even though I generally wear a 36" chest, this 38" pattern fits me well.  The only alteration I made was to take roughly four inches off the legs, which turned out to be about two inches too much.   There was only enough length for me to turn the hem up 1/2 inch and topstitch.

Ideally the pants would be at least an inch longer and the hem would be wider. With an ankle boot or hightop sneaker it's acceptable as-is -- barely.  I could probably make a faux pants cuff if the jumpsuit shrinks in the laundry, or maybe I should do it anyway.  That hem needs more heft.



Essentially this is a muslin, I remind myself.



I bought a teal zipper and matching topstitching thread, which I used on the front and back princess seams and on the front pockets, which are stitched onto the outside. 



I decided not to make the matching belt.  I like the strong vertical line of the zipper and I didn't want to break it.  A belt would also shorten little 'ole me (I'm 5'7") and make the top look blousey. 

I'm curious to see if cousin Cathy chooses this garment to be part of my new look!





What do you think?  Me/Not me?  Wearable/Wearable but only on Halloween?  (Don't spare my feelings; I'm all about total and complete honesty.)

Other than the future-as-envisioned-in-1956, where might I wear such a garment?

More pics here.

No comments:

Post a Comment