Wednesday 24 February 2010

Peter's Makeover: DAY 2 - the naked truth

Cousin Cathy here and I've no time for niceties.  Let's get started.

What a day I had yesterday!  Feeling somewhat defeated after Monday's underwear power struggle, I was determined that Tuesday I would put my foot down.  You don't ask a New York model to create your new look and then quibble over a pair of holey Hanes.  

I decided it was time to act like adults.  As soon as I arrived at Peter's apartment, I stripped the man down to his threadbare Jockeys and got to work.

We started with basic grooming (fans of large pores can supersize these by clicking on them). 

 

Right off the bat, I told him it was me or that third eyebrow under his nose.  My first victory of the day.

Next, I archived each and every thrift store orphan in his wardrobe -- on Peter himself -- under the harsh glare of flash photography. 

Look, I know many of you are fond of Peter -- we all are -- and I am not suggesting that every item in his wardrobe is a ratty old castoff just one loose button shy of the rag bag.  But the reason Peter does not have a look is because he picks up stray clothes the way other people pick up stray cats: impulsively and without any thought to his own long-term needs.  He has relied on his own charm and good looks long enough!  

You can view the highlights of Peter's old look (or NON-look) archive here, or simply view the slideshow below.  (Fans of paper dolls should really enjoy this.)



Next, inspired by all of your marvelous comments yesterday and feeling a little peckish, I sent Peter out for bagels and coffee while I created a nice little bundle destined for the trash thrift store.  I'm hoping he never notices.


Next, we explored the cluttered and confused world that is my cousin's accessories collection: sunglasses, hats, watches, etc.  It's not unlike the underwear: a few gold nuggets but mainly dross.  It's all too tedious to go into here but I'll share some highlights:

How would you like to see your man walk around in these, which for some reason Peter cannot bring himself to either discard or have repaired -- after ten years.

 

And then there's these.  I don't care if they were designed by a Issey Miyake, they scare me.



Can you see why by the end of the day I was experiencing severe abdominal cramping which turned out to be only bad cream cheese, thank God?  The stress of having to pare down -- and then chic-ify on a shoestring -- Peter's wardrobe into something approaching a look is starting to show up on my complexion. 

The hats, well, I think I can work with these.




Of course it might be easier if they actually matched the scarves, but that would be too much to ask.




Look, I'm running late, darlings.  There's a lot more to tell but I must get started.  Today Peter and I go shopping!

Oh, before I forget, about Peter's old-look wardrobe:

Would you keep the striped Land's End polo?  Could anybody's look include a striped Land's End polo? Readers, I already dumped it.  Heaven forsake me!

So have any of you ever tried to make over a man or does the very prospect of it keep you in bed with the cats, the remote, and a Whitman's sampler?

Can it be done in less than one week?

Tell me it's possible and that I'm not the crazy one!  It's him, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment