Tuesday 9 February 2010

No sheet, I finished the shirt!

Done.

From Simplicity 8255



I like this sheet shirt.  It gives me hope I will soon see daffodils, albeit probably not pink and purple ones.  Right now I'd settle for plastic ones.

I ended up using interfacing only on the collar -- sew-in interfacing as the fusible I had didn't take well.  It's a summer shirt; I want it soft. 


From Simplicity 8255
Somebody needs a shave, among other things....


From Simplicity 8255

I think the princess seams -- referred to on the pattern envelope as "side front sections" (ha) look great.  The shirt would be fitted even without them, but they definitely create a flattering line that's not at all "bosomy" -- which is what I feared.  If I'd done the front in contrasting fabrics, the seams would stand out more.  There are also two long vertical darts in the back, making the shirt even more fitted.


From Simplicity 8255


I shortened the length about two inches, which I think looks more modern.  I'll likely wear the shirt outside my pants, as opposed to tucking it in.

For the collar (and collar stand) I used pieces from an old Butterick pattern.  Simplicity 8255 comes with one of those one-piece collars (referred to as a "shirt-type" collar -- as opposed to the other kind?) that remind me of bowling shirts.  Not that there's anything wrong with bowling shirts!

If I made this again I might use contrasting topstitching thread.  This time I just used white.

So what's next after a sheet shirt?  Blanket pants, perhaps?''

For those who demand more, you can read my full pattern review here.   (It loops back to the blog so you won't get lost.)

No comments:

Post a Comment