Monday 15 February 2010

Monday is GOALS day

Good morning, sewists and those who love them, and Happy Monday!  

I'm not even going to tell you what time it is here.  (I'm experiencing a little post-Valentines Day insomnia.)

But so be it, let's do what we always do on Mondays at MPB:
Review our goals from last week and outline new ones for the week to come.

How did you do with last week's goals?  Amber: How's that high-waisted pencil skirt coming along?  You, Cupcake Goddess: What's the latest on that spring coat?  K-Line: Did you get the bra-makers kit, and if so, where's the bra? JuliaB: Updates on the man-corset? Robin: New Look 6912 -- wassup?  Sue: Did you make a decision about your next project?  Laura: How's the quilt coming along?  Myra: Is the dining room clean yet?

Don't think I'm not paying attention!

As for me, I had a very productive week, sewing-wise.  (Please don't ask about the rest of my life, ha ha.)

1. I made a vintage sheet shirt from an old sheet I found in the trash.

2. I stitched up a sample pair of those mens boxer shorts from an old 1945 Simplicity pattern.

3. This weekend I made Michael's Valentines Day gift, a cute little cotton knit jumpsuit.  Speaking of which, I'd like to thank dmscheidt for sending me a link to this:



I knew Sean Connery and I had similar style, but this is uncanny!  Thanks also to brightfeather for this photo, from around 100 years ago.  Sub sole nihil novi est -- right?


4.  I finally sat down with my serger and rethreaded it -- from scratch no less! -- with black thread.  I cannot tell you how relieved I was that I was able to do this without a hitch.  I decided to use only one needle for the time being (a 3-thread stitch), which seems to be perfect for finishing seams.  I used this on my striped knit jumpsuit with excellent results.  It's also a narrower seam (using just the right needle) which I prefer.

Now on to this week:

1) Today is an unofficial "Pattern Review in NYC" meet up.  (For those of you who wish to join us, Greenberg and Hammer at 10 am.)  I'll be there representing the male sex and if it's anything like the last PR Day in New York last fall, we'll be visiting some of the most well-stocked and costly fabric and notions stores in the Garment District.  Of course, my role will be to snicker at the price tags and come up with clever lines like "Nancy, you're going to buy all THAT?" as well as to provide emotional support as sewists literally swoon before the wool crepe at Mood Fabrics. I'll buy nothing of course.  After lunch, full of smug self-satisfaction at my fiscal discipline, I'll swing by my decrepit little fabric dive(s) and blow $6 bucks on 3 yards of something dusty and divine!  


2) I am waiting for this pattern I bought from Myra, whom I have to thank for the Simplicity 1945 boxer short pattern. I'm hoping it can be the model for Cathy's python print vinyl jumpsuit!

 Meanwhile, a reader is sending me this, and excited doesn't begin to describe how I feel about getting it.  



















 Finally I'll have something to work out in!

 
Readers, I bought another princess seam vintage mens shirt pattern!



I know, I know, it was wrong; I already have one; but I couldn't resist!

So there you have it:  three new (to me) patterns.   I'm hoping to get started on one of these this week.

3) I may make another pair of the 1945 boxer shorts with some striped cotton fabric I used to make a shirt for Michael's birthday last fall.  We'll see, we'll see...

4) I still haven't drafted anything.  I'll admit it: I'm intimidated by the prospect.  Maybe I'll have the gumption to sit down and give it a try.  Let's call that a "soft" goal.

That's it!  As always, thanks a million for all your enthusiastic support and encouragement.  

So what are your sewing goals the week?  Don't be shy!



P.S.  This weekend's giveaway contest results coming later today!

No comments:

Post a Comment