Friday 25 February 2011

How Much For A Vintage Pattern or "10 bucks -- for THIS?"



Readers, have you ever purchased a pattern online that when you received it you realized you could have drafted it yourself in about twenty minutes and saved yourself some dough?

Yesterday my vintage Vogue Comeback dress pattern arrived in the mail.



Now I think most of you know that I am not a pattern collector.  I pretty much buy only what I think I am going to either a) make myself, or b) give away to you guys.  As long as the pattern pieces are intact I don't really care about the condition of the envelope or whether the pattern is yellowed or smells like mothballs.

I do like to see how patterns are drafted and it's fun to be able to say, I made Vogue/McCall's/Butterick/Simplicity number whatever and Voila!  I also have a blog to write and these kind of things keep it interesting.  When I read about other people's self-drafted projects, my mind wanders.

So this brings us to yesterday.  I was anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Allan doll complete with wardrobe and vinyl carrying case, which failed to arrive, though I did receive an email confirmation that it had been sent -- sent yesterday, when I'd paid for it five days previous, immediately after winning it on eBay.  Don't you think that's a little late if, admittedly, not in violation of the rules?  I do.

But I digress.  I got the pattern.



The envelope is a little beat up but the pattern itself was unused and uncut.  But look at it:



Version C is a two-piece bodice and a sleeve and a really wide skirt.  That's it.

Since I have already drafted a bodice for myself last summer -- twice -- and I am fully capable of cutting a huge rectangle, what exactly am I getting for my $10?  There wasn't even a toy surprise.







I guess I am starting to realize that a lot of these patterns are identical to each other, more or less.  Unless I'm making something complicated, I can probably do it myself and get something that fits from the get-go, or very nearly.

Remember this Ann-Margret-in-The-Pleasure-Seekers-inspired number from last June? 



But enough venting.  I am happy to have the pattern if only to it share with you, but that might not last forever.

Look at the size of the skirt. That's like seven feet and it's cut on the fold, so double it.  Huge!





In closing, wise readers, do you buy commercial patterns, new or old, in hopes that you'll uncover some precious secret to dressmaking only to discover it's the same old thing and you really don't need a pattern to draft a well fitting bodice, let alone a waistband, pocket, or collar facing?

Would you pay $174.99 for this on Etsy, even with the "protective plastic self-seal bag" it comes in?


How much is too much to spend on a vintage pattern, do you think?  And are you buying it for the artwork or the pattern or something else?

I know some vintage pattern sellers are going to take offense, but honestly, don't you think this money could be better spent on doll clothes?

Jump in!

No comments:

Post a Comment