Wednesday 1 September 2010

Peter Speaks! The Singer 66 Treadle VIDEO!



Guys, my Singer treadle is up and working and it's lovely.  I found a leather treadle belt at a sewing machine supply place near me and I was able to fit it on the machine without too many problems.  Definitely not something you want to have to do by yourself unless you have four arms, but not too difficult.

You would not believe the amount of fuzzy gunk I've removed from this machine.  The more I treadled, the more old stuff she spat out -- including a piece of an old needle!

Doesn't this look straight out of King Tut's bellybutton?



But now that she's cleaned and oiled, she's making lovely stitches:



I've made a little movie -- very little -- but it will give you an idea of what it's like to sew with this machine.  I am actually already sewing more smoothly than what you'll see in the video; it's just a question of getting the rhythm of it -- kind of like a hula hoop but with less hip action.

It's indeed very meditative to sew with a treadle, as some have mentioned.  You know the feeling you get after you've been at the beach and played in the surf, when hours later you still feel your body bobbing upon the waves?  Well it's the same with the treadle.  After only a few minutes of treadling, I can still feel my feet pumping half an hour later.  Weird but not unpleasant.

So here it is.  Enjoy it!


Hey, I'm a newbie...

So, what do you think -- have I convinced you yet?  When are YOU going to get a treadle?

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment