Wednesday 22 September 2010

Men's Pleated Pants: YOU spoke, I listened!



As if yesterday's topic of the imminent dreaded event you-know-where weren't emotional enough, the question of whether or not to wear a pair of gray pleated suit slacks led many to the brink of apoplexy.

As in any therapeutic relationship, there's bound to be some transference between you, beloved MPB readers, and me.  To some, I remind you of your father, to others, a rebellious-yet-highly-visual son, rivalrous brother, or sharp-tongued hairdresser who permed your hair to within an inch of its life in 1977.

Likewise, I am fully open to the possibility of countertransference on my part toward some of you.  While I love you all equally, there are a few of you whose comments sound eerily reminiscent of my blunt Aunt Florence formerly of Clifton, New Jersey, whose voice I hear clear as a bell when I read, "Throw out the pleated pants. They do not fit!"  

It's been so healing to work through all this with your assistance, dear readers, and I am forever grateful.

I have decided not only to nix the aforementioned garment of shame, but to deposit them directly to the Salvation Army today, never again to tempt me.



I considered an MPB giveaway of the pants but that sounded a little too intimate.  Please rest assured that I do own a few pair of flat-front gray dress pants and I'll limit myself to those from this day forward.

How does that sound?

Admittedly, those pleated pants are an eensy bit snug, depending on what I am tucking into them, but they're not uncomfortable.



I sense men's pleated pants may be making a comeback...



No matter, they have been banished from my closet-- simply too reminiscent of the Hatey-Eighties and all things mall.


And now, Aunt Florence doppelgangers and others,  I must continue to prune my wardrobe and complete my morning toilette.

Given that there was no clear consensus about my dreaded event outfit among yesterday's copious comments -- though lots of catharsis -- I may just have to pop into the fabric store and see if anything inspires me.  Could I treadle a mens blazer in a week and a half?  I think so!

Friends, I must ask you: what is it about men's pleated pants that pushes people's buttons so -- and they do.

When did male persons of the pleat become the fashion outcasts they are today?

Are we ready for their return?

Eek.

No comments:

Post a Comment