Saturday 25 September 2010

Are you a "Sticker-outer" or a "Blender-inner"?


Friends, I can't talk about corduroy pants today, I need a break.  Rest assured everything's progressing fine.

But my cranberry confection has got me thinking...

There are two kinds of people: those that dress to stick out and those that dress to blend in.

I am making no judgments here, just a statement of what I suspect to be true. We all probably have a little of both types in us.  Still, one predominates.

Think about it.

You might assume that people who sew their own clothes would tend to be sticker-outers, but no.  My suspicion is that most people who sew want to blend in, albeit in higher quality fabrics and clothes with better fit than they can find in most stores.  Dare I presume that Nancy is a blender-inner?  (Nancy...are you out there?)

How about Gertie?

Or Shona?


See how easy?  (Visible tattoos and red hair are dead giveaways.)

I'm a little unsure about Elizabeth.  She presents herself as a blender-inner but she was an opera singer, after all!


Me, on the other hand, I bet you think I'm a total s-o.  In fact, I am much more of a b-i in my personal style.

(Confession: some of my more outre self-sewn outfits I consider blog-togs.  They're primarily made for the blog and the occasional night on the town that's usually a dog walk or a quick trip to the Korean deli for milk.  But I'm always open to invitations to high-profile events!)

 

Cathy, on the other hand: a true s-o.



There are many famous sticker-outers, as you might imagine, both real and fictional.


Scarlett O'Hara is a classic sticker-outer.  Remember when she showed up at the dance for the Confederacy in her mourning gown?


Cousin Melanie, in constrast, is a blender-inner.



Remember Bette Davis (or is that Shona again?) in Jezebel?  Yup, sticker-outer.


There are famous mother-daughter sticker-outers...


Famous sticker-outers playing famous sticker-outers...


Not all sticker-outers are women:




But male sticker-outers, unless they're rock stars, tend to have a difficult time of it.  Most of America isn't open to the male sticker-outer, imo.

Now how about some blender-inners?

Ethan HawkeYawn.


Julia Roberts.  Zzzzz....


Erstwhile couple Reese and Jake.


Is it over yet?  (Oh, for a dose of Lana Turner!)

Dear readers, we only get in trouble when we think we're one type but we're really the other.  For example, a lot of us were probably raised to be blender-inners and have all kinds of conflicts expressing our true, latent sticker-outer.  

We tend to resent people who glory in their full sticker-outerness guilt-free and criticize them when deep down we'd like to be emulating them....sort of.



So how about you?

Are you a dyed-in-the-mousy-brown-wool blender-inner?  Or a take-no-prisoners, Bob-Mackie-or-die sticker-outer?

Would you secretly like to unleash your inner Lady Gaga but don't look good in meat?

Who are you REALLY?  (And who would you like to be?)

Jump in!

No comments:

Post a Comment