Thursday 30 September 2010

Plan C -- new shirt, new accessories + chihuahua video!



OK, so I thought long and hard about your comments yesterday.

Though I hate to admit it, I did start to see that the Western shirt -- while lovely and painstakingly stitched on a 1920 Singer treadle -- is not ideally suited to the rest of the outfit.  It is not crisp-looking.  The pants pop; the shirt is dull-toned.

I thought about white.

I do own a homemade white shirt -- a very nice one I whipped up last November.  I actually bought the fabric from Kashi at Metro Textiles and it's a silky white cotton.   And just look at that sleeve placket...





So I thought I'd try it with the pants and jacket and see how it looked.  Different belt, a few small tweaks.



Dear fashion critics and reunion ribbers, I like it.  It's brighter and looks crisper with the dark blue jacket.  The grosgrain ribbon belt is more cheerful than the black one while still looking sufficiently dressy, don't you think?



I've nixed the ascot -- too Peter Lawford.  But how about the psychedelic napkin neckerchief tucked in breast pocket (I know I said I don't wear pocket squares but it does pull things together, no?).



I've ditched the Navajo ring.  I can go Danish Modern silver...



...or domestic-partner gold.  (So I don't get hit on -- you know those 30th reunions.)



Now I should mention that there is one small problem with the shirt and I am fixing it.

When I originally made it last November, I had a problem with the interfacing on the neckband and collar: it didn't fuse well, leaving me with this:



Last night I removed collar and neckband and will make new ones today. 

And that's it.  I'll wear the loafers with black socks.  I'll shave and wear deodorant.  Clean underwear.

Have I forgotten anything?  Wallet?  Keys?

Thank you for dressing me up in your love (all over, all over).  How did I ever dress myself before this blog?

As Dinah Shore used to say, Mwah!


For your entertainment... How we'll be staying in shape this winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment