Tuesday 21 September 2010

What should I wear to my 30th HS reunion?



As we say in sunny Salamanca, Estoy en crisis.  What do I wear to my 30th high school reunion the evening of October 2nd, one week from Saturday?

Can I be frank with you, friends?  For the last month or so I've been on the fence about the whole thing and was leaning toward not going at all.  Then I recently started getting these emails from the reunion committee asking me whether I was going or not and I had to decide for real.

To go or not to go?  Well, like a typical forty-eight-year-old high schooler, I succumbed to peer pressure.  I mailed the check and I'm going.

Now I'm facing the dilemma of what to wear.

Readers, while I have a varied wardrobe and a wide array of bespoke shirts made from used bedding, I hate most of my dressy clothes.  I don't wear suits very often and the last two I purchased about four years ago were from H&M (the clothing store, not the fabric dive).

I don't think either cost more than about $80 and they look it.

The only other dressy thing I have, now that I demolished a perfectly good gray wool suit in anticipation of making Michael's, is a Burberry blue blazer (seen up top and below) I picked up at the flea market a few years ago.  It's nice quality but I don't know...I don't like the way I look in it.   BOring!  (and boxy)



Here's the same outfit without the tie:



Then there's the groovy option.  I could wear my flowered pants with the darker of the two H&M suit jackets...



That's with my treadled Western shirt -- nuh uh.  Here it is with a white shirt:



I wore the lighter of the two suits for the family portrait last weekend.  It's linen, though, which doesn't work for October.



Of course, a few of you have suggested I just send Cathy.  Please don't dare me to do so.  Don't you think this outfit is perfect for cocktails at the Waldorf?



I'm not sure how to proceed and I need your wise international guidance -- even you Canadians.

Should I whip up a suit jacket in the next week and a half and consider that practice toward making Michael's suit?  I will not buy RTW.

What do you think, Trendies?

Oh and friends, please be discrete; while I don't think any of my former classmates read my blog -- they're all boring -- I do suspect that a wife or two with loose lips and a late-model Janome may pop in from time to time.  Let's not say anything that's going to get me in trouble.   Instead of 30th reunion at the Waldorf, say dreaded event you-know-where.

Will you help me?  Can you help me?

No comments:

Post a Comment