Friday 12 November 2010

Attack of the Killer Houndstooth


WARNING: this post includes images of extreme pattern boldness that may cause nausea, blurred vision, or vertigo.  MPB assumes no responsibility for any injuries incurred by readers.  If symptoms persist consult your doctor.

Friends, the houndstooth saga approaches its end and I am weary.  Of houndstooth.

I have made four houndstooth garments for the Pattern Review One Pattern Wardrobe contest that ends this Sunday -- one top, one pair of shorts, one jacket and matching long pants.  I can't reveal the final results until this weekend, but here's a preview.

On Wednesday I made the black and white pants.



Yesterday I tackled the jacket (it didn't put up a struggle).



Of course it still needs sleeves, hemming, etc...



But you get the picture.



Readers, I'm not sure who could pull off a pattern like this in real life.  Only someone with a big personality.  Sadly my cousin Cathy has a small personality.  But some very big accessories.

After sewing this fabric for a few hours, I started to see this...

Then this...


And then this...


And then I woke up screaming.

Believe me that the combination of the red and black and white and black houndstooth in an outfit is striking to put it mildly.  Trippy is more like it.

I've been emailing Cathy, who flies in from the coast tonight, and we've been trading ideas on styling these funky frocks.  I envision knee socks with the shorts; Cathy wants ribbed tights -- it's  November. I'm not even sure where one finds ribbed tights.  Macy's?

Friends, that's it.  It has been a busy week and the weekend looks busy as well.  I'll be seeing Cathy of course, which is always fun, though she does have a habit of leaving her things around everywhere and not closing the bathroom door. 

But she does know how to sparkle when she has to.

In closing, your final thoughts are always welcome.  I do read all your comments and if I can't always reply publicly, I do try to send out a few words telepathically.

Have a great day, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment