Sunday 10 October 2010

Sewing and "The Secret"


Giggle, gasp, or gag, you've probably heard of The Secret.

This is the internationally best-selling book that explains that hidden-for-centuries-and-suddenly-revealed -- Today on Oprah! -- ancient truth, the "law of attraction."  The law of attraction says, in essence, visualize it and it will be yours (or, what you think about is what will come true).

Now frankly, I thought the law of attraction was if you showered on Saturday night, you might come home Sunday in the same clothes (wink, wink), but I digress.

Readers, I won't lie, I have read The Secret.  OK, I didn't actually read it, I watched the movie, but it's the same secret.  I've made dream boards, or treasure maps, or whatever they're called.  I cut out a lot of photos of tropical island beaches from magazines like Condé Nast Traveler (which are filled with little else) and I did make it to San Juan due in part to a prize won at gay bingo.  (I'm not kidding.)  Coincidence? 


Still, I think The Secret is a lot of phony baloney.

And yet...

I do believe that if you invest a little time in getting clear about what you want, you might have a better chance of getting it, if only because you're less likely to be distracted by all the other things that life throws your way.

Let me give you an example.

My alternate title for today's blog entry was "Sunday Sewing Wish List."  I thought it might be fun to ask ourselves, with regard to sewing, what it is we want or even genuinely need, and then see if we could magnetize these things into our lives.  Fun, right?

Most of you may know that I recently treated myself to a Dritz sleeve board.  I'd been wanting one for months but couldn't justify the cost -- not exorbitant at around $25 but high for something whose sole purpose is ironing shirtsleeves; you can't even throw it at a cockroach.  Having priced them all over the place including online, I decided to just bite the bullet and make the investment and I am so glad I did: my sleeves have never looked better and I don't know how I ever ironed shirtsleeves before (well, I do: badly).   

OK, I didn't exactly magnetize the sleeve board, but I knew I wanted it, I invested a lot of thought in it, and lo and behold: I have one!

Now today, it is all I can do to resist traveling via subway to a certain hip neighborhood to look at a certain prized sewing machine posted for sale on a certain websiteIt's a vintage model I've long lusted after but whose price on eBay was always bid up higher than I could ever justify spending.  Can you guess which machine it is?
 

Nope, it's not a Bernina.  I'd be more forthcoming, but with readers like my sewing machine-hoarding friend Johanna, I need to be circumspect.

Anyway, I bring this up because, having a clear sense of what my sewing needs truly are, I can't pretend not to know that I do not have any reason to purchase this machine though I do have to kill a few hours later today as Michael has a group class going on in the living room.

Plus it's selling for about a third of what it normally costs on eBay.  But still... no.    I have my Kenmore, my Elna, my Pfaff, my two Necchis, my Brother, my Pfaff, my Viking, my Singers: Spartan, Genie, 15-91, and treadle.  What would I do with another machine, where would I put it?

No.

Which brings me back to The Secret.

If I hadn't sat down and thought about what I want to manifest in my life sewing-wise, I just might find myself heading out to -- well, I can't say where but a borough that is not Manhattan -- to inspect and perhaps even purchase probably the coolest sewing machine ever at a price I will probably never find again!

I have The Secret to thank for my centered calm and firm focus.


Nope, it's not Little Betty.

So readers of varied spiritual backgrounds and some pretty kooky beliefs expressed in skin art, what sewing item or items do you wish to manifest in your lives?  Is there something you truly need?  Tailors Ham?  Class 66 bobbins?  A new ironing board?  A ruffler?

Is there something you don't necessarily need, but want -- oh, how you want it! -- another Featherweight?  A Babylock Jet-Air threading serger?  A Dritz My Double dress form?  More Facebook friends? (whoops, I'm projecting)

Visualize it and it will may be yours!

Please tell the universe and the rest of us: What is it you WANT?  (and why)

We promise not to judge.




No comments:

Post a Comment