Thursday 14 October 2010

Beards -- yea or nay?


Friends, how do you feel about beards?

Facial hair is one of those things that go in and out of mainstream and alternative fashion regularly.  (When it's "out" in the former it's usually "in" in the latter. )

We seem to be witnessing a major beard resurgence where I live, especially among the hip and hirsute.


Through the decades I've tried all kinds of beard variations.  About fifteen years ago it seemed every man was sporting a goatee.  And being the fashion conformist I am, I jumped on the bandwagon.



I've tried all kinds of variations: just mustache, mustache with soul patch -- you name it.





Ever since I started shaving my head ten years ago, I've believed I look better with a few days' scruff.  Sometimes I even leave it for weeks.  After a while though, it usually feels heavy and looks a little "patchy" and I clip it back. 

Some people look strange without a beard.



Others look like they're trying just a little too hard to toughen up a pretty face.  I hope I don't fall into this category, folks.



And then there's Sean Connery.  Perfect, right?


It definitely flatters (and balances) a bald or shaven pate, no?


As I mentioned yesterday, I've gotten interested in old-fashioned shaving rituals of late --  the double-edged safety razor, the badger brush, the soap, the mug, etc.  We'll see how that works.  But until it gets under way, I'm looking like this...


Readers, what's your take?  Do you like the way beards look or are they simply too Grizzly Adams for the modern world?  Do you like any facial hair or do you prefer your men clean-shaven?  Can you live with a mustache and well-groomed soul patch?

Male readers, do you have a beard?  Have you ever had a beard?

How about on me?   I like it in theory but I'm not sure it truly flatters.  Cathy, on the other hand, says that as long as I have a beard, she's outta here. 

I want to hair from you!  (Any beard memories you wish to share?)

No comments:

Post a Comment