Thursday 27 May 2010

Harem Scarem: Could these pants work for me?


Wise readers, I need your input: What do you think about loose, flowing, dropped-crotch pants for men?

I know I'm a little behind the times here, as apparently these have been showing up on runways for the last couple of years, primarily for women.


I saw the male version for the first time on a young Asian man in my neighborhood about a month ago, paired with a very preppy blazer and tie, and he looked great.  Actually, his had more of this shape:



You may remember these pants in an earlier incarnation:


Which makes me think of this.


Sometimes these are called harem pants, sometimes parachute pants, sometimes Hammer pants, sometimes the ugliest pants ever.  But as the temperature reaches up into the nineties (fahrenheit) these pants are starting to look more appealing.  I don't want to put on anything tight or heavy, but I'm not ready for a caftan.

They were a big part of Hedi Slimane's Dior Winter 2008 collection for men,  and variations have been showing up on many a runway since then.


After doing a little online research, especially on Pattern Review, I know that this look elicits a strong emotional response.  Some love 'em; most HATE 'em.  (Something about all those folds on the hips.)

I'm not riding a camel through the Garden of Allah, I'm a (shortish) middle-aged Western guy walking the streets of Chelsea.  I don't rap.

So, knowing me as you do:  Yea or Nay?

If nay, could you kindly elaborate?  If yea, what pattern would I use?


For your viewing pleasure...?

No comments:

Post a Comment