Monday 31 May 2010

"What a dump!" Monday + Goals!


Yesterday I was digging in a box of art supplies searching for some wrapping paper, and look what I uncovered!  I didn't even remember I owned this Bette Davis paper doll.  It must have been a gift.


I'm especially fond of this lovely black number, no doubt an Orry-Kelly:


I really should have a pot luck or something and we can bring all our dolls!

But on to sewing.  I found this book on Saturday at the flea market and it has inspired me.



I feel like I'm ready to re-approach pattern making; I wasn't back in January.  The book proceeds project by project, making garments of greater complexity.  I'm psyched!

Remember our lively discussion about harem pants?  Well a few of you recommended Simplicity 4788, a sort of Lawrence of Arabia get-up.  I found the out-of-print pattern online and bought it.  I love all three versions and the clothes are cute too.  Thanks for the suggestion!


I experimented a bit with a yard of black crinkle cotton I bought last week and I came up with this:


It's basically just the baggiest pair of boxers ever made but super comfortable and so pretty to twirl in if slightly immodest.  Michael calls it my "skort."  If I'd had another yard, however, they'd be the balloon pants of my dreams.

So to recap, my week consisted of:

1. Sewing my skort, which took about an hour.

2. Donating a few bags of fabric to the Salvation Army.

3. Reading "Deluxe."

4.  Oh, yes.  I was transfixed upon seeing this photo of Liza at the "Sex and the City 2" premier.  I love this Liza look, which I think Cathy could pull off in something a bit less transparent.



I had to find out more about it so I started what turned into a very lively discussion on the Pattern Review message board, definitely worth a chuckle if you're interested.  I bought this pattern as a result.  Can't you see some of these looks in red sequins?



Readers, at the flea market on Saturday I also saw the loveliest vintage Singer 301, but I successfully talked myself out of purchasing it.  I really do have more than enough machines... sob.

For the coming week I want to:

1. Get started on the pattern drafting book, taking all my measurements and maybe trying to draft my first pattern.

2. Re-thread my serger which has sat unused for nearly a month.

3. Figure out what I want to sew next.  There's a menswear competition on Pattern Review that ends  in a few weeks and I'm not sure whether I'll enter it or not.  Maybe I'll whip up something slightly "Road to Morocco."

And now how about you guys?

I'm guessing you're mainly off work today so you'll all be busy sewing.  In honor of the holiday, I am only going to nag you telepathically.  But you know who you are and believe me, the frequency should be coming through loud and clear.  If you can't hear my nagging voice in your heads, you're not listening!

Have a wonderful, relaxing and/or productive day everyone!

What are you sewing these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment