Tuesday 19 April 2011

Tuesday Stream of Consciousness


Good morning, friends!  I'm back and feeling rested, thanks no doubt to the subliminal messages I received from Joey Heatherton's Serta mattress commercial yesterday.  I may be sleeping on a Serta myself for all I know; I should look.

Today is all about reflection and re-centering.  I hope you'll indulge me and perhaps join me.

First off, Cathy.  Thank you all so much for your kind comments about Cathy's taffeta dress.  They mean so much to my cousin, who's just getting back into the swing of life.  I'm staring at the dress now, as it's still strewn across my ironing board.  I don't know where I'll store it and I may just have to make it a permanent part of the living room decor.



As you may already know, Cathy's lace redingote has three ties across the front bodice made of the same narrow velvet ribbon I used for her slip straps.  I am glad I opted for the thinner strap and thank you for your strong support of that choice.


And speaking of lace overlays, here's a recent picture of Joey Heatherton in her version.  To quote legendary Broadway songwriter Frank Loesser:  Joey, Joey, Joey....


A number of you asked why Michael wasn't wearing a matching bow tie at Saturday's party.  Friends, I made one, but in the end I/we decided it wasn't quite up to snuff.



I'm very much on the fence about Cathy's choice of Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Coralberry.  While very striking against the green taffeta (a classic combination), I think it was too pale for evening.  Next time we'll stick with the blue-reds.



In other news, I have received some wonderful vintage patterns from MPB readers recently, which I always like to acknowledge.  So you can well imagine my chagrin when I confess that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the generous woman who sent me these wonderful men's shirt patterns.  I searched through my email for fifteen minutes and...nothing.



Kind person, won't you please identify yourself in the comments today and accept both my apologies and warmest of warm thanks?  I love these and, miracle of miracles, they're all in my size (14 1/2" neck, 36" chest)

More recently I received this lovely surprise from reader/blogger Sunni, The Cupcake Goddess herself.  Where can I begin?  Cathy is desperate to star in a remake of the Audrey Hepburn classic thriller, Charade, even if it's nothing more than a YouTube video.  Now I can get started on her wardrobe!



I'll likely save this Vogue Bill Blass gem for the big premier.  To. Die. For.



Apropos of which, I think it may be time to drag Cathy out of the late Forties/early Fifties, don't you?  One doesn't want to get stuck in a look.   (Joey...?)

Oh, before I forget!   I got an email from Rain yesterday!  He tells me he's almost done restoring my Singer 15-91!  He says he's "just waiting for some parts to come in."  Readers, I'm confused about what parts Rain can possibly be talking about.  You'll recall that the machine was in working order, though the wires were brittle as Joey Heatherton's blonde shag.

My real fear is that Rain is restoring my 15-91 -- into a bedside lamp.   Recalling our last conversation, I'm not sure I ever clearly articulated my desire to actually be able to sew with this machine.

Seriously though, I have every confidence in Rain's abilities, and am hoping he'll also be able to loosen the screw on my Featherweight that would allow me to disassemble the hook assembly so I can install the new loop guard screw I purchased. How long have I had that Featherweight already?

Beloved readers, we're out of time.  I need more coffee and then who knows?  I really must get organized as we have our upcoming MPB Jeans Sew-Along starting Monday, May 2, I begin teaching at Textile Arts Center on Tuesday, May 3, and then -- I really shouldn't divulge this yet -- I'm planning a Summer sew-along involving none other than Cathy herself!

Tentatively titled "Cathy's Live the Dream Fantasy Sew-Along," participants will create a glamorous day or evening ensemble using a pattern of their own choosing, something they'd normally never wear in real life.  I am a big believer in "build the gown and the event will happen" -- a Field of Dreams-type thing.  We'll post pics on Flickr perhaps and maybe have a contest with categories like "Most Likely to Be Worn by Lana Turner in Madame X."

To quote Joey Heatherton, You'll LOVE it!  How does that sound?

Have a great day, everybody!

A different side of Joey: "contemplative, quiet, beautiful..."

No comments:

Post a Comment