Wednesday 27 April 2011

Peter's movie debut!


Friends, we all have skeletons in the closet.  Today I'd like to share one of mine.

It was a student film and I was young...well, younger than I am today.   Let's turn our clocks back to the mid-Nineteen nineties.  A dear friend has asked me to play a leading role in her final film school project.  What would you do, kind readers?  Loyal to a fault, I agreed.

Many find the resulting film, The Great Manipulator, to be dark.  This is in part due to inadequate lighting.  I won't give away the film's shocking ending but rest assured things don't end well for our heroine, Esme.  The Sound of Music this is not (though I do break into song).

Sluggish pacing, stilted dialogue, and flat-footed foreshadowing don't help matters.  But don't let me influence your opinions.  Despite it all, around our house The Great Manipulator is a cult film up there with Pink Flamingos and Plan 9 From Outer Space.  Lines like "I'm sorry you didn't sleep well," "Do you really think I'm talented?" and "Everything today is so market-driven" have become part of our secret language.

With no further delay, may I present The Great Manipulator.

 
My conscience is clear.

If you care to unburden yourself of a skeleton or two, please feel free.

No comments:

Post a Comment