Tuesday 5 April 2011

Thinking about JEANS... plus contest winner!



Can it be?   Are we really only four weeks from the beginning of the MPB Jeans Sew-Along on Monday, May 2?  Somebody check and make sure I'm counting correctly!

Reminder: I'll be making my jeans from Kwik Sew 3504, a multi-sized, in-print men's jeans pattern.  You can sew whatever jeans pattern you wish and follow along.



You can purchase Kwik Sew 3504 through the Minneapolis-based Etsy store Sewtropolis and domestic shipping is FREE.  You'll get the pattern for just $11.99.  They'll also ship abroad of course.

Here's the link http://www.etsy.com/listing/69609861/kwik-sew-3504-mens-jeans

Now is the time to start thinking about fabric.  Jeans don't have to be denim: you can sew corduroy, twill, hey, why not polyester shantung?  But please make sure you give yourself time if you're ordering online.

To make Kwik Sew 3504 in a Small,  I'll need roughly two yards of denim (a little more, a little less depending on the width of the bolt), a 7" zipper, one jeans button, and -- this is optional -- jeans rivets.

Topstitching thread is recommended -- I like to mix colors -- along with a jeans needle (I'll be using a size 18).  In the coming weeks I'll be talking about thread tension and sewing through multiple layers of thick fabrics like denim.  How well does your machine do this?  You might want to give it try.

Before I forget -- our contest winner:

The winner of the vintage Seventies "Valerie Bertinelli" pattern is that "itchy-fingered" super-mom and sewing sensation...

Tanit-Isis!

 Luv huh!


Tanit-Isis, please email me your address (peterlappinnyc at gmail dot com) and I'll get this off to you ASAP.  Can't wait to see the finished dress -- no pressure -- and congratulations!

And now back to jeans.



Have you joined the Jeans Sew-Along Flickr group yet?  If you haven't, please shoot me an email and I'll send you an invite.  Or if you're already a member of Flickr, send me a request.  The Flickr group is open for all to see but only members can post photos and leave comments. 

Today is s a great time to ask questions here, if you have any.

Here's one for you guys:

What are your favorite denim sources?  We've all heard of Fabric.com.  Are there any other sites you recommend that have good prices, good selection, and fast shipping?

How about topstitching thread and rivets?  (What color topstitching thread do you like to use?)

Your expertise -- and I know you many of you have it -- is greatly appreciated. 

Hope you'll join the Jeans Sew-Along -- TWILL be lots of fun, he he. 

Jump in!

No comments:

Post a Comment