Thursday 14 April 2011

Awesome New Men's Patterns!



Readers, I can't talk about lace and taffeta for one more day without puking wedding invitations.  Instead, I want to talk about guy stuff. 

I was shopping online for patterns last night when I came across these incredible new men's pattern lines.  I can't wait to make the cute plaid shirt up top and the pea coat below center.  And how about that great messenger bag!



Then, from a different pattern company, I found this classic chambray shirt with shorts:



And these colorful summer pants, vests, and jackets:





Wait -- did I mention I was dreaming?  I'd dozed off right there on Etsy!

I woke up and was reminded of the grim reality:

His and her fleece.



Boxy jackets to wear over said fleece.  (Note how this is categorized: "Sleepwear, Unisex, and...Men.")



Scrubs -- they're not just for orthopedic surgeons and dental hygienists!





Unisex pajama bottoms in novelty flannel from Jo-Ann Fabrics.



Roomy shirts perfect for the all-you-can-eat shrimp buffet at Shoney's.



Elastic waistbands for same.





And people wonder why more men don't sew.

Let's give credit where credit is due: German Burda is ahead of the game.  This jacket is cute-ish.



Then again, Burda is also responsible for this.  I shudder.



Friends, how difficult would it be for a pattern company to come up with some cool patterns?  We're not reinventing the wheel here: we're talking pants, shirts, a vest, a jacket.  Style it to look hip, hire a model.  Don't make him pose next to a six-year-old mini-me.  Can you see the difference?





Seriously.  I can't speak for every guy or woman who sews for guys, but I would be thrilled to have patterns for some of the outfits posted here which, by the way, are from J. Crew and Woolrich Woolen Mills -- nothing avant-garde, no men in corsets or Pee Wee Herman suits.  Explore any fashion magazine or men's style blog and this is the kind of thing you see.

Both Land's End and LL Bean both have "hip" fashion lines using the same fabrics and styles their main brand uses but cutting them and styling them in a more contemporary (read slimmer) way.  Why can't pattern companies do this?

I'm not one for rants and I do understand the economics involved.  But there's a potential market out there of young men who care about how they look and they can't all draft for themselves or bother tinkering with vintage patterns.  Are we investing in the future or aren't we?

Readers, what are your thoughts about this?

How can we make this happen?

Jump in!

No comments:

Post a Comment